cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing a Bidet Seat in your RV

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new RV and the dealer is having difficulties installing the bidet seat into the coach. The problem is that most RV commodes have a hump on the back and the bowl needs to be level near the back.

I installed a bidet seat on my last coach and the installer removed the commode and brought it to his shop where he took a bench grinder to it without cracking the bowl. The dealer is reluctant to try this method.

Does anyone have any experience adding a bidet to their toilet?

WARNING - the last time I posted about bidet seats, some readers posted very strong and negative reactions to the idea. The thread was shut down in a couple of days. Therefore, please do not post your opinions if you think this is a crazy idea.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
67 REPLIES 67

rwjejits
Explorer
Explorer
Odd topic but rv related and has no impact on others.

I'm familiar with them and not something I'd consider...but don't fault the OP for reaching out to others for info to help with his install.

Isn't that one of the main benefits for having this site in the first place...to share experiences and learn from others?
2004 Ford F250 6.0
OEM TTYs Still Tight
210+ and Pulls Great
Original Owner- Lawrence Marshall Ford - Hempsted, Tx. (Closed 2009)
SCT, SG2, Deletes, Pyro, Free Flowing Exhaust, Timbrens, ELC & Filter

2011 Keystone Laredo 245RL

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have found the water saver hand sprayer on our Style Plus toilet to be an effective substitute for a dedicated bidet sprayer. There are times a little warmer water would be nice though, so I may check into adapting a "Biffy Warmer" for the purpose
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Good to see that you are still out there Holstein! Haven't seen you post in a while!

Safe travels to you and your family!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Hmmmmmm......the OP "holstein13" posted his question 8-16-2014.

"Srenovo" posted the above 9-22-2017.

Certainly good info on solving the "problem"!!

However, in the intervening THREE YEARS.....
did "holstein13" ever figure out a solution to his dilemma??

:h
:@
I sure did. I installed a Biffy in my master bathroom and an off-brand electric bidet in the half bath. I also installed bidets in two bathrooms at my farmhouse.

I think this is one of the best mods you can do for an RV or any bathroom and wholeheartedly endorse them and encourage folks to try them.
`

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
srenovo wrote:
I wanted to do this same thing in our 2016 Fleetwood Southwind.

Below is my explanation of what I did along with help from my plumber.

My plumbers dad (company owner) said when I called about helping to install the Toto Washlet seat was that they did not work in motorhomes BUT if I had everything he would send his son (who I like working with) and he would see that everything was taken care of - if and only if I had all the parts necessary for the job. So I did my research - got the Toto Washlet toilet seat - ordered the one special part needed from the toilet manufacturer (Dometic). Then I discovered that the plumping tee sent with the Washlet seat was made with metric threads on one end and it had to be used and there was no substitute as the connection port for water to the Washlet seat was also proprietary to Toto.

I spent a half a day in hardware stores looking for a solution. Finally came up with the solution late two nights ago on my own.

I can send pictures of the completed installation.

Below is my explanation of what I did -

As for the Toto in the MH โ€“ there is only one RV toilet model that allows such an installation and as luck would have it our RV came with the correct toilet. Therefore, I did not need to buy a new toilet. It is the Dometic 310/311 models.

My plumber had his part of the job done in much less than an hour. I did the most difficult parts of the job for him before he got to my RV. One part required โ€œSouthern Engineeringโ€ and the other part was to have the special piece that had to be ordered on hand. There are other RV owners that have done the same thing to their RV so I had an idea of the special part that had to be ordered plus I talked with staff at Dometic to verify all that I had learned.

Each of these RV installations is probably a little different but for my installation I had to re-engineer the Toto tee that sends water to the Toto Washlet. Normally the Toto tee attaches to both the water supply from the house and the bottom of the toilet tank and has a connection for the hose from the Toto toilet seat. I had to plug the end of the tee that would attach to the bottom of the toilet tank. I did that by removing the reverse threaded brass insert on the end that would attach to the toilet tank; tapping the inside of the inner round end of the brass reverse threaded insert to 5/16 X 16; and screwing in a 5/16 X 16 set screw using thread sealer to be extra sure that it would not leak. Finally I reinstalled the reverse threaded brass insert with the same Allen wrench used to remove it.

This plugged the hole that would normally let water into the toilet tank โ€“ since RV toilets do not have a tank. The pressure of city water when connected to a city water hose bib or the pressure of the RV water pump when using water from the RVโ€™s water tank provides the flow necessary to feed the Washlet seat as well as rinse out solids โ€“ if the solids are sticky there is a spray wand for final cleaning. Because of their design RV toilet and simple marine toilets are directly above the โ€œblack waterโ€ tank and operate using gravity.

My plumber cut the existing PEX tubing bringing water to the toilet. He next used the PEX valve I purchase as well as a short toilet water inlet hose and to hook up the water to the toilet. The only other job for him was to install a โ€œvacuum breaker apparatus that stood further back from the rear of the porcelain bowl (to replace the existing one) which I ordered from Dometic (The toilet manufacturer). This part allows enough room for the seat to fit properly. I am not the first person to do this but I may have had the easiest installation as I figured it all out for my plumber in advance. Toto does not make a modified tee adapter for RVs so I believe as does my plumber that I was very creative in solving the problem. Since this Washlet was made for installation in Mexico and accidently sent to the USA the threaded portion at the top of the Tee was metric instead of SAE. There was no plug available locally to block the flow of water headed to the non-existent toilet tank. Totoโ€™s fittings are specialized to Toto products so my solution was clever. Finally one piece of white 1/2 flexible tubing had to be replaced with a longer piece and I even had that available.

Hmmmmmm......the OP "holstein13" posted his question 8-16-2014.

"Srenovo" posted the above 9-22-2017.

Certainly good info on solving the "problem"!!

However, in the intervening THREE YEARS.....
did "holstein13" ever figure out a solution to his dilemma??

:h
:@

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
D & M wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I still guess I don't get why my post was so bad. Especially considering where this thread went after that. I will still try to be more careful in the future. Though I may goof us again since I don't get it.

You're post wasn't "bad". I just thought it was inappropriate for a General RVing forum. That's until I just read a whole page of posts instructing people how to wipe their butts. :E

This is starting to be like the "Around the Campfire" forum. At least the mods here have a pretty good balance on editing the thread and maintaining order.

And hopefully a sense of humor:)

And unlike the rest of you, I cannot ignore this particular thread. And I do most of my moderating in the morning right after breakfast. Fair warning.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

srenovo
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to do this same thing in our 2016 Fleetwood Southwind.

Below is my explanation of what I did along with help from my plumber.

My plumbers dad (company owner) said when I called about helping to install the Toto Washlet seat was that they did not work in motorhomes BUT if I had everything he would send his son (who I like working with) and he would see that everything was taken care of - if and only if I had all the parts necessary for the job. So I did my research - got the Toto Washlet toilet seat - ordered the one special part needed from the toilet manufacturer (Dometic). Then I discovered that the plumping tee sent with the Washlet seat was made with metric threads on one end and it had to be used and there was no substitute as the connection port for water to the Washlet seat was also proprietary to Toto.

I spent a half a day in hardware stores looking for a solution. Finally came up with the solution late two nights ago on my own.

I can send pictures of the completed installation.

Below is my explanation of what I did -

As for the Toto in the MH โ€“ there is only one RV toilet model that allows such an installation and as luck would have it our RV came with the correct toilet. Therefore, I did not need to buy a new toilet. It is the Dometic 310/311 models.

My plumber had his part of the job done in much less than an hour. I did the most difficult parts of the job for him before he got to my RV. One part required โ€œSouthern Engineeringโ€ and the other part was to have the special piece that had to be ordered on hand. There are other RV owners that have done the same thing to their RV so I had an idea of the special part that had to be ordered plus I talked with staff at Dometic to verify all that I had learned.

Each of these RV installations is probably a little different but for my installation I had to re-engineer the Toto tee that sends water to the Toto Washlet. Normally the Toto tee attaches to both the water supply from the house and the bottom of the toilet tank and has a connection for the hose from the Toto toilet seat. I had to plug the end of the tee that would attach to the bottom of the toilet tank. I did that by removing the reverse threaded brass insert on the end that would attach to the toilet tank; tapping the inside of the inner round end of the brass reverse threaded insert to 5/16 X 16; and screwing in a 5/16 X 16 set screw using thread sealer to be extra sure that it would not leak. Finally I reinstalled the reverse threaded brass insert with the same Allen wrench used to remove it.

This plugged the hole that would normally let water into the toilet tank โ€“ since RV toilets do not have a tank. The pressure of city water when connected to a city water hose bib or the pressure of the RV water pump when using water from the RVโ€™s water tank provides the flow necessary to feed the Washlet seat as well as rinse out solids โ€“ if the solids are sticky there is a spray wand for final cleaning. Because of their design RV toilet and simple marine toilets are directly above the โ€œblack waterโ€ tank and operate using gravity.

My plumber cut the existing PEX tubing bringing water to the toilet. He next used the PEX valve I purchase as well as a short toilet water inlet hose and to hook up the water to the toilet. The only other job for him was to install a โ€œvacuum breaker apparatus that stood further back from the rear of the porcelain bowl (to replace the existing one) which I ordered from Dometic (The toilet manufacturer). This part allows enough room for the seat to fit properly. I am not the first person to do this but I may have had the easiest installation as I figured it all out for my plumber in advance. Toto does not make a modified tee adapter for RVs so I believe as does my plumber that I was very creative in solving the problem. Since this Washlet was made for installation in Mexico and accidently sent to the USA the threaded portion at the top of the Tee was metric instead of SAE. There was no plug available locally to block the flow of water headed to the non-existent toilet tank. Totoโ€™s fittings are specialized to Toto products so my solution was clever. Finally one piece of white 1/2 flexible tubing had to be replaced with a longer piece and I even had that available.
Srenovo
2000 34H Bounder
2004 Honda CRV

cwenger
Explorer
Explorer
Deandec, thanks for the information. I'll check it out. Carl

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Microphor LF 220 which is likely no longer made but appears to meet your needs.

Microphor
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

cwenger
Explorer
Explorer
I have a BB-2000 bidet seat at home and would like to also have one in my motorhome. The problem with installing this bidet seat in my motorhome is the hump on the toilet. I would need 1.5 inches of flat surface behind the centerline of the seat mounting holes. I am willing to buy a new toilet if I could find a suitable one.

Does anyone know of a RV toilet with a flat surface 1.5 (or more) inches behind the centerline of the seat mounting holes?

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
dianahc wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
Thanks punomatic and YC1, I've gone ahead and ordered the Biffy.

Bumpy, when it's installed and I pick it up at the end of September, I'll post a photo. I'm curious how they will install it. But with the "Triple Antisiphon protection" maybe it won't matter how they hook it up.

Curious how this worked out - including the promised pix.
Thanks for reminding me. Here it is, one year later:

The system worked out great. On the left on the floor is the heated tank. It plugs into a regular 110 outlet and keeps the water warm. The Biffy, itself, is very effective and has a great spray pattern that should solve all your problems.
`

dianahc
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
Thanks punomatic and YC1, I've gone ahead and ordered the Biffy.

Bumpy, when it's installed and I pick it up at the end of September, I'll post a photo. I'm curious how they will install it. But with the "Triple Antisiphon protection" maybe it won't matter how they hook it up.

Curious how this worked out - including the promised pix.

I too have a bidet (Toto Washlet S350e) in my own bathroom at home, and desperately want to have a similar solution for my 2005 Mirada.

I will confess to "needing" one (TMI WARNING!) - I have a medical condition that causes me to have multiple sticky poops per day, that are "clingers" both in the bowl and on my rear. And I can't stand thin RV TP. As it is, it takes multiple wipes (including wet wipes) to get "clean and fresh" - whereas with a bidet, it is much cleaner, much more easily.

I want warm water, with a reasonably strong spray. I don't need the dryer function (ain't nobody got time to wait for those to work!) or the seat warming function - oscillating/pulsing would be nice, but not necessary. I think we have a plastic Thetford in there right now.

By the way, I have a solution for those of you who (like me) prefer to use regular TP - a Litter Genie (http://www.littergenie.com/?&utm_source=google&utm_term=litter%20genie&utm_campaign=PLX-LG-14_Playtex_LitterGenie_Standard_Br&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=I7TuaWBS|pcrid|80633485034|pkw|litter%20genie|pmt|e&gclid=Cj0KEQjw58ytBRDMg-HVn4LuqasBEiQAhPkhutPH57KLR99_SmJ1o2WR6ZrZNqWpQczzcVGEUUZMa7YaAtmm8P8HAQ). I keep it in the bathroom, and put GOOD TP in it instead of into the tank where it could cause clogs. Even with ALSO using it for cleaning the litterbox for 2 huge pooping machines, the bag only has to be changed about every 4-5 days without smelling.
Diana and Charles, RVing since July 2014, with Onyx and Mimi, the reluctant RV cats
2005 Coachmen Mirada QB30 (no slides) and 2003 Jeep Liberty toad

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I still guess I don't get why my post was so bad. Especially considering where this thread went after that. I will still try to be more careful in the future. Though I may goof us again since I don't get it.

You're post wasn't "bad". I just thought it was inappropriate for a General RVing forum. That's until I just read a whole page of posts instructing people how to wipe their butts. :E

This is starting to be like the "Around the Campfire" forum. At least the mods here have a pretty good balance on editing the thread and maintaining order.

And hopefully a sense of humor:)

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.