Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class B van for college student
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Class B van for college student

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
shysher

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/13 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This weekend my son expressed an interest in possibly trading his sedan in for a class B van. This is due to impending attendance in college and is attempting to keep his expenses down but be very mobile at the same time.

I have done a search of Craigslists between southern Indiana/Kentucky area and eastern Oklahoma which is where he plans to attend if everything shakes out. So far I have not found any class B's...and he has no interest in class A or C's nor any in travel trailers or 5th wheels as he does not want to purchase a pickup truck at this point.

Since he has been the only child in our home since birth (his half-brothers lived with their mom), the small space is not an issue with him.

So...does anyone have suggestions besides Craigslist or eBay? He would even be interested in a conversion that is ready to use if possible. The biggest factor at this point is a unit that is as inexpensive as possible.

Sherry

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/13 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest for him to consider a small Travel Trailer, some on the lines of a Scamp or a Casita or a FunFinder which could be towed by a sedan or a van.

Might be more to choose from & perhaps less expensive than a B Class.

TT could be left at an RV park & have a vehicle to get around in.

If planning on stealth camping in the "B" without using a park. There is a lot of hassle in having a shower, water, & a toilet to use in any RV, perhaps a little more in a "B".

Likewise, going with a conversions van, one would have to have a place to shower, etc.

I believe I'd go with a small trailer.

Eastern OK can get some cold weather to take into consideration.

Might check at RV dealerships, they are having a lot of sells about this time of the year.

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

shysher

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/13 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made an attempt to convince him to buy a small travel trailer but he is not interested in that route. The class B is the only type of motorized RV he is remotely interested in and nothing in the towables right now. I will keep on looking and hope that something shows up.

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/13 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check rvt.com for used units, also lots of used RV's at Camping World locations which can be accessed from this RVNet forum.

drsolo

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/13 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shysher wrote:

This weekend my son expressed an interest in possibly trading his sedan in for a class B van. This is due to impending attendance in college and is attempting to keep his expenses down but be very mobile at the same time.
I have done a search of Craigslists between southern Indiana/Kentucky area and eastern Oklahoma which is where he plans to attend if everything shakes out. So far I have not found any class B's.
So...does anyone have suggestions besides Craigslist or eBay? He would even be interested in a conversion that is ready to use if possible. The biggest factor at this point is a unit that is as inexpensive as possible.

I found my 1992 GMC conversion van with rooftop heater/AC and electrical plug in on Craigs list nov.2011. It had less than 100k miles and I paid 5K. There is a search engine that I use. click here Craigs doesnt get good returns using "class B" so use other specific terms. Actual "B" RVs are quite expensive especially if the "RV" part is functional like the generator, etc. Conversion vans are much cheaper and can be converted rather easily. A small frig inside, a heater, an LG air conditioner on an extension cord out the window. Other than Craigs I would look online at RV places. Remind him that he needs to both get the "van" part checked out by a mechanic AND get the RV functional parts checked out by an RV place. I think a B or B like conversion van is perfect for commuting back and forth and for short camping trips as well. Do have him take a look at my website for how I have "converted" my conversion van.

Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

lfloom

Pasadena

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/13 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being at college - he should have plenty of places to have a shower or get a hot meal. But, does he know where he will park the thing?

Hawk7

Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/13 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read an article a few months ago where College students are using conversion vans or class b as dorms instead of actually staying in the dorms. They purchase a parking pass and use the van as a place to live. Way cheaper then a dorm or apartment. There is no need to use the cafeteria either since you can shower, cook and sleep in the van. Might work out fine in warmer climates but winter could get a bit cold!

2015 Skyline Dart 214BH Traded in for 2016.5 Skyline Javelin 285rb
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost Super Crew

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/13 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to Weatherbase, Stillwater and Norman both average more than 10 days per month below freezing from November to March. No electric hookup means no lights, no electric space heater, no way to power a laptop or re-charge batteries for the laptop or the RV, and if he uses propane to heat water and the RV, he'll go though a lot of it.
At least consider this when calculating costs.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/13 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim Shoe wrote:

According to Weatherbase, Stillwater and Norman both average more than 10 days per month below freezing from November to March. No electric hookup means no lights, no electric space heater, no way to power a laptop or re-charge batteries for the laptop or the RV, and if he uses propane to heat water and the RV, he'll go though a lot of it.
At least consider this when calculating costs.

In 35 years NE Oklahoma I've been through at least five winters when we've had two weeks or more weeks consecutive sub-zero days, and at leat ten winters in which it did not get above freezing for a month or more. Before or after a could snap like these, daytime highs can be in the fifties, nights in the low teens.

We "camp" in November and March most years, but December through February sleeping in a vehicle, even one converted into a RV, is going to be uncomfortable here.

Finding one, at any time I'll see a dozen or more on RV Trader in a 500 mile search from here, but listings on that service may not including many bargain examples.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

drsolo

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/13 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont think it would be smart to try and live in a B in a cold climate. BUT, he could rent a cheap "room" or bed in a house with many others for sleeping/washing in cold weather, even cooking. And make sure it comes with a parking spot where he can plug in the B and use it for studying, storing his stuff, and unplugged for transportation. When parked at school he could use the B between classes for naps, studying, eating. My laptop runs off the cigarette lighter, I have a hotspot for internet access. I would suggest a robust alarm system, mirrored windows and a curtain between driving and living compartments to block view of the contents.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Class B van for college student
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.