cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campfire Pizza!

WI_Bowhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Just got this idea from some friends a few weeks ago. It has been a big hit with our kids and the people we camp with. Just figured I would share it here with everyone else.

Soft shell tortilla(crust)
pizza sauce in a jar or squeeze bottle(way easier)
Shredded Cheeze
Pepperoni
Canned sliced olives
Canned sliced mushrooms
any other toppings you like...onion, sausage(premake), etc...

Very easy...put sauce on shell, add cheese and toppings, place on tripod and cook until cheese just melts. Turns out to be an excellent crispy thin crust pizza!:D

Kids can put together their own, just have an adult do the cooking.
Keep the Shiny Side Up!;)

2011 F150 Supercrew, 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost, 145" wheelbase, 3.73 gears, Max trailer Tow package

2014 Puma 30DBSS
Equali-I-Zer WD Hitch

3 kids and 1 DW
28 REPLIES 28

vickyjane
Explorer
Explorer
First time to hear this, might be a kind of sandwich?? Whatever this could be a new snack recipes for my son, and I guess I may make it with tortillas and chicken, cheese with my George forman quesadilla maker that is one of the best choice in reviews: bit.ly/2v0TNN7.

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
And here is my new favorite (this sauce is excellent, too. The parm cheese makes a big difference in the flavor)...

DOMINOS THIN CRUST PIZZA

For the sauce:

โ€ข 1/2 cup canned, crushed tomatoes
โ€ข 1 cup tomato purรฉe
โ€ข 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
โ€ข 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
โ€ข 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
โ€ข 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
โ€ข 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
โ€ข 1/8 tablespoon garlic powder
โ€ข 1/8 teaspoon ground oregano
โ€ข 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
โ€ข 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
โ€ข Pinch of ground cayenne

For the pizza dough:

โ€ข 2 cups high-gluten bread flour
โ€ข 3/4 cup warm water
โ€ข 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
โ€ข 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
โ€ข 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
โ€ข 1 teaspoon salt
โ€ข 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, plus more if needed
โ€ข 1 tablespoon dried oregano
โ€ข 1 tablespoon dried marjoram

For the sauce:

Make the sauce by combining the crushed tomatoes with tomato purรฉe in a blender. Blend on medium speed for 30 seconds. Combine tomato sauce with other sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the mixture begins to bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool, then chill in a covered container until you make your pizza.

For the pizza dough:

Mix the dough together and let it retard in the refrigerator overnight.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees an hour before you begin assembling the pizza.

Bring the dough to room temperature and roll it out into a very thin, round crust. Dock the dough but using a dough docker or poking it with holes using a fork. Bake the crust for 4 minutes before topping with the rest of the ingredients.

Mix together the cheese and dried herbs. Place on top of sauce and bake the pizza for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and the crust is golden brown.
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the first (my previous favorite) pizza dough:

Easiest Focaccia Recipe

"Extremely easy, fast and cheap. Great for sandwiches and snacks. You may use more or less olive oil or salt if you wish."

1 t. white sugar
2 ยผ t. yeast
1/3 cup warm water
2 C. AP flour
2 T. olive oil
ยผ t. salt

In a small bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with flour; stir well to combine. Stir in additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour is absorbed. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly for about 1 minute.

Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).

Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface; knead briefly. Pat or roll the dough into a sheet and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush the dough with oil and sprinkle with salt.

Bake focaccia in preheated oven for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on desired crispness. If you like it moist and fluffy, then you'll have to wait just about 10 minutes. If you like it crunchier and darker in the outside, you may have to wait 20 minutes.
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to see it Mitch. I prefer a thin and crispy crust and while the STL crust is thin it's more of a cracker crispy.the recipe I'm using now is pretty good, but not great.

I make all my own crust, they are just too easy to make to buy. One thing that helps thin the crust is too make the dough a day ahead and after the first rise put it in the refrigerator and let it stay there for a day or two. When it's time to use it, punch it down and roll it out, don't let it sit out too long, that way it doesn't rise much. I set the oven first, 450, and then roll out the dough and slide it into the oven for 6-8 minutes. This firms up the crust, kills the yeast and gives it a head start toward crisping and browning without overcooking the toppings. I do the finish at 550 for 10-12 minutes.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that I like pizza more for the crust than the toppings. Good toppings seem to be wasted on a bad crust. I wish I could buy a good yeast crust dough. I know they sell frozen bread dough that just has to be thawed and allowed to rise. Has anyone seen a good version of a pizza dough like that?

If you like super thin and crispy, I have the newly found perfect recipe. I actually have two, but the first one has been surpassed by the second. I'll publish them both, if you'd like. I just made the second one yesterday to take to the neighbors - it was so delicious - cheese, sausage, pepperoni, bacon, onions. I also shredded fresh motz in the food processer, froze it, then partially defrosted it and tossed it in the bacon grease! YUMMO!
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
This recipe might be great for pie iron pizza, roll it out and cut to size. Can't beat 3 ingredients that are probably already in the cabinets. I make this every once in awhile and it is pretty good. Its very thin with just a slight biscuit taste if the sauce is thin.

St Louis Style Pizza

Calijenn
Explorer
Explorer
Pie irons, sounds like something I might need! We use the pre made boboli crust just throw on the BBQ. Fav pizza is a Mexican pizza with some spicy salsa mixed with the pizza sauce and top with carne asada, cheddar cheese, olives, green onions, jalapeรฑos and cilantro to finish it off. Great way to use up leftover carne asada and stretch it into 2 days.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
We use pie irons to make pizza pockets. You use the sandwich thins. Lay one thin on the side of a pie iron, put on pizza sauce and whatever toppings you want and then lay the other half of a thin on top. Close the pie iron and cut off the excess. Cook over a fire or stove until done, being sure to turn midway. Doesn't take long. And everyone can make their own. Very good.

Reminds me I need to make sure I got the pie irons in the rv for next weekends trip!

We do this too and we all love it.
I go even easier and use slices of bread, jarred spaghetti sauce, cheese and pepperoni for those that want it. Only takes a few minutes and super yummy.
On a variation of that, this last week I made a spaghetti meat sauce and put it in between a slice of frozen garlic bread that I had split into 2 pieces. Amazing!!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We use pie irons to make pizza pockets. You use the sandwich thins. Lay one thin on the side of a pie iron, put on pizza sauce and whatever toppings you want and then lay the other half of a thin on top. Close the pie iron and cut off the excess. Cook over a fire or stove until done, being sure to turn midway. Doesn't take long. And everyone can make their own. Very good.

Reminds me I need to make sure I got the pie irons in the rv for next weekends trip!
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I use the pizza crust recipe from the Fleischman's yeast package, or use the Pillsbury pizza dough that comes in the tube. I get a rectangular baking pan and cover the bottom with garlic powder, basil, oregano, etc. and a thick layer of olive oil. Unroll the room-temp dough onto the oiled pan. Brush the top surface generously with oil/more spices. Have all your toppings ready. Get the grill hot, place the crust on the grill-turn down the heat. When you have grill marks, flip it. Put sauce and toppings on, close the lid or cover. The trick is to skimp on the sauce and heavy on the oil, so crust doesn't burn. Sometimes, I will sautรฉ my toppings before hand to cut the grill time. Keep on eye on it.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
SailorPam wrote:
So does Winco, a large

Under what name?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

SailorPam
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite pizza restaurant sells their pizza dough. So does Winco, a large discount grocery chain in the PNW. We will sometimes buy a batch and have a make your own pizza party. Otherwise, I've just played with recipes over the years to make my own with flour, yeast, salt, olive oil, water. And when in doubt, add some type of sugar! Whether it's honey, agave nectar, brown or plain old white. Sugar will always help a savory dish, just like salt always helps a sweet one.
2004 Keystone Sprinter 327RLS "Booner"
2001 Ford F350 "Bessie"

blackestate
Explorer
Explorer
We love pizza, out here we use a take and bake pizza from "papa murphy's" and cook it in the dutch oven. Can't beat it. I love the golden crust. Get the right size pizza for the oven. For us it has become a first night staple, easy after setting up camp.
We have also used biscut dough and the pizza dough that comes in a roll, but we find if it is the first night, this is the easiest.
2004 Wilderness 320DBHS
2004 f-350

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Gjac, I'll try those tips.