Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 87  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
socal77

Redlands, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/17 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photo of RV leaning

See the photo above

Hi Guys, I mentioned this issue a couple months ago but have put off handling it until now. My 2009 28A from CA has developed a serious lean to the driver's side. I've eliminated the more obvious potential causes - I emptied all the tanks to make sure it's not some type of extra weight on that side.

Took it in to get the tires rotated and the guys who did it said it definitely was a leaf spring issue. I've looked under there myself but nothing obvious from my untrained eye. So now I need to get it fixed. The RV shop where we live here in Redlands, CA is crazy expensive so that's not an option. I know someone previously in this forum mentioned a place down in Orange County that specializes in RV springs and is reasonable priced. The RV has 164,000 miles on it so I think the springs have just gotten tired. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Mocoondo

Chicago, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/17 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

socal77 wrote:

Photo of RV leaning

See the photo above

Hi Guys, I mentioned this issue a couple months ago but have put off handling it until now. My 2009 28A from CA has developed a serious lean to the driver's side. I've eliminated the more obvious potential causes - I emptied all the tanks to make sure it's not some type of extra weight on that side.

Took it in to get the tires rotated and the guys who did it said it definitely was a leaf spring issue. I've looked under there myself but nothing obvious from my untrained eye. So now I need to get it fixed. The RV shop where we live here in Redlands, CA is crazy expensive so that's not an option. I know someone previously in this forum mentioned a place down in Orange County that specializes in RV springs and is reasonable priced. The RV has 164,000 miles on it so I think the springs have just gotten tired. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Take the vehicle out on a quiet road, get it up to speed and turn it hard to the left, not enough to tip it over, obviously, but enough to make it lean to the right. Nine times out of 10, that will cure your lean. If not, then you are in new spring territory, but I would be surprised if you needed new springs.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/17 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had work done at American RV in Orange County their prices are good as is their work,you might give them a call and see what they say,they do all kinds of work or they may steer you in the right direction if they don't do springs.

I have found that they are very helpful and friendly.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

510dogmom

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/17 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would call Sturken RV in San Jose 408-295-7195. I had very good luck with them with my previous and unusual RV (VW Eurovan and Winnie, class C). I can tell you stories about that Frankenstein of an RV!

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/17 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

socal77 wrote:

Photo of RV leaning

See the photo above

If you haven't already...look where the sway bar mounts up the bushing with a rubber like thing. My pick up (not RV) broke and made me lean to one side a bit.

socal77

Redlands, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/17 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to take the suggestions and see what I learn.

510dogmom

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anything new coming up for folks? How were your summer travels?

zachcycles

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

510dogmom wrote:

Well... just more of the same! Starting to think I'm getting the last laugh on my 3 strike former rental. I did the absolute unthinkable: 1st strike: I bought a 2 year old former rental. 2nd strike: it was a Camping World former rental. 3rd strike: I bought it from... wait for it... Camping World! Aside from making it my 'fort' zero problems after my 3rd summer of travel, and here in NorCal summer travel is all year travel.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Whether out in the motor home or just sittin n sippin a fine whiskey, my mind wanders these daze. I'm ok with this...

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/17 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

510dogmom wrote:

The summer was great for camping,especially when you wake up to a view like this,I just returned fromThornhill Broome

[image]

In 2 weeks it is back to New Port for the Birthday Run.

[image]

Then a quick outing next month just for the fun of it and then the 6th annual week
long trip for Thanksgiving, I sure get all the use I can out of my problem free Former Rental [emoticon]

Then the Winter camping starts.

disc01971

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/17 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seattle to Utah, to Flagstaff, to Orlando Fl. Back to Dallas, up to Denver, then back to Seattle. About 8k miles and didnt have any issues in the 5 weeks. Go camping 2 weeks later and the fridge leaked ammonia when turning it on, 1st out of pocket replacement item. Having to take door frame off to take out fridge is just %$###. Good time to re caulk entire rv though after redoing door.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 87  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS