Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 87  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/17 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Number 75 here.... update on my CA 2011 27G I got last Fall from here in Phoenix (Mesa CA location):

Backup Camera - With the help of my neighbor (he used to install car stereos and alarms) and I, we installed a Voyager Digital Wireless Backup Camera, the camera has power tapped off the center top red rear light, a little drilling hole wider, and sealed up with the roofing sealant. NOTE: Mount it just below the light or you'll get a lot of interference when the lights are on. We also decided to wire it to the lights, ie monitor only comes on with the headlines on, but that's not a bad thing to drive with day-time-running lights and not just in backup mode, so I can see cars approaching as I go down the freeway. I have the camera pointing down to catch the bumper and covers about 2-3 car lengths back. That way I can watch the bikes on the rack on the receiver hitch. Also liked this model cause it has a mic/speaker so the driver can hear the helper when backing in tight spots... just remember to mute the volume on the freeway or it will sound like you have a flat or something wrong. We also wired the monitor so its direct powered and not using up a cigarette lighter outlet, and I took off the rear-view mirror and put the monitor there, since you naturally look there and that mirror does nothing anyway.

Toilet - Put a oval bowl chair height toilet in... life is so much better.

Stairwell Cover - cut a piece of plywood, trimmed it out, put a cut out handle and glued carpet to it. Covers the stairwell so our older dog doesnt fall down it during the drive.

Queen (island) Bed - Took off that vinyl CA cover and the plastic mattress wrapper (original??), got a nice pillowy mattress pad. Then bought the Ikea bed slats (I hate shopping at Ikea), they are curved boards/slats with a cloth ribbon for spacing. The pair fits just right over the island without any trimming, I screwed in about every 3-4th board to the island deck, so it doesnt slide around. I also put some piano hinges on the hatch access to the water tank, with some struts to hold it up when accessing it. Sleeping is heavenly with a "box spring" underneath the mattress.

Other stuff - Put in one of those all-in-one-mic CB radio and antenna...breaker 1-9. Put in a car alarm with remote flob, nice to lock and unlock the cab doors from a distance. Tire Pressure Monitoring system is purchased but not yet installed, have to update ya later on that.

Battery - just had to put a new battery in it, the CA battery didn't last through the summer in the Phoenix heat...it's been crazy hot this year. But I've had great luck with Costco 36 month batteries lasting at least 2 summers here, just remember to replace it (for free) before the 3rd summer.

Future - Might add a small TV/DVD player. Solar brief-case type solar panels that can be moved around as the sun shines. Probably have to replace the coach battery before long, but its still holding a charge for now. Still drives well (no lean or adverse swaying) but researching new springs and that front stabilizer thing.

I still thrilled with my CA 27G, just enough room, big motor climbs the mountains out of Phoenix without struggling, aero cab-over, and that huge basement store has amazed many a friends.
MtnBikeMarty

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/17 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey #75 MtnBikeMarty,always good to hear back from an owner and see what they have done to their RV to make it more personalized to their liking.

I am sure that others owners will like what you did and give them some ideas on what they want to do to their RV,Thanks for sharing.

I also wanted to have some solar but didn't want to mount it on the RV,I liked the idea of being able to put it where I wanted to get the most use out of it. I found that This One fits my needs and is easy to store and place where I need it.

Great to hear that you are still thrilled with your CA 27G, it seems that all the others here are very happy as well.

Have a great camping season.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

chorbelt

Everett, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/17 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for this post!

Based a lot on all the good experiences I read from ya'll, I picked up a 2011 23' Four Winds from El Monte a month ago. My ex got the TT in my sig, so for me and two kids, hauling dirtbikes and quads, this C is about perfect. No offense to anyone, but I think all RVs are pretty shabbily made, so I was looking for something without a slide to leak. Not having carpet was a bonus as well since we're often drycamping while riding. I also really like the huge basement storage and that the bumper is much stouter than others I've seen (I guess they expect newbie drivers to "park by sound").

After reading this thread in it's entirety, I wish I pushed some more to have an awning installed, but that's just the cheapskate in me. My dad flew to Las Vegas and drove it back to WA for me and we just arrived in NJ after driving x-country and stopping for a few days at the Grand Canyon. No problems with anything in about 6000 miles. (Driving a gasser with a slushbox though, well that took a couple of days to get used to). I couldn't be happier with this coach and wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying a former rental to anyone. Prices were more than a few thousand dollars higher for much older units (granted that had less miles) closer to home. All the major systems work, but there are a few things that I need to fix, all mostly cosmetic, but with two kids, I'm not in a rush. The one addition so far was a rear-view camera to keep an eye on the toys.

* This post was edited 07/19/17 01:54pm by chorbelt *

'11 Four Winds 23'
'97 Ford F-350 CC 7.3 and 10' Alaskan NCO - Unknown vintage.
'05 Komfort 27' Bunkhouse (gone)

MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/17 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Hey #75 MtnBikeMarty,always good to hear back from an owner and see what they have done to their RV to make it more personalized to their liking.

I am sure that others owners will like what you did and give them some ideas on what they want to do to their RV,Thanks for sharing.

I also wanted to have some solar but didn't want to mount it on the RV,I liked the idea of being able to put it where I wanted to get the most use out of it. I found that This One fits my needs and is easy to store and place where I need it.

Great to hear that you are still thrilled with your CA 27G, it seems that all the others here are very happy as well.

Have a great camping season.

Thanks IAMICHABO, I will look into that one this summer. I've only looked at Harbor Freight's breifcase solar panels, but I hate to use HF for anything but "disposable" tools.
Happy trails....

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/17 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chorbelt Welcome to the Former Rental Club,you will be #93 on the ever growing list of happy owners.

With 6000 miles you did give it a good shakedown cruise,it is good to hear that everything went well and you would recommend buying a Former Rental to others.

Enjoy the camping season, I also did mostly dry camping and offroad riding of Quads and Desert Buggies with my 2 kids,they really enjoyed it and carried it on with their kids,great way to make memories and pass on the camping lifestyle.

Enjoy Life!

bghouse

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/17 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MtnBikeMarty wrote:

Backup Camera - With the help of my neighbor (he used to install car stereos and alarms) and I, we installed a Voyager Digital Wireless Backup Camera, the camera has power tapped off the center top red rear light, a little drilling hole wider, and sealed up with the roofing sealant. NOTE: Mount it just below the light or you'll get a lot of interference when the lights are on. We also decided to wire it to the lights, ie monitor only comes on with the headlines on, but that's not a bad thing to drive with day-time-running lights and not just in backup mode, so I can see cars approaching as I go down the freeway. I have the camera pointing down to catch the bumper and covers about 2-3 car lengths back. That way I can watch the bikes on the rack on the receiver hitch. Also liked this model cause it has a mic/speaker so the driver can hear the helper when backing in tight spots... just remember to mute the volume on the freeway or it will sound like you have a flat or something wrong. We also wired the monitor so its direct powered and not using up a cigarette lighter outlet, and I took off the rear-view mirror and put the monitor there, since you naturally look there and that mirror does nothing anyway.

Thank you for sharing this. Backup camera is the very first thing I want installed, although I've been eyeballing this model with the additional side cameras so I can see more when driving. https://www.tadibrothers.com/products/7-ultimate-wireless-mirror-rv-backup-camera-system-with-double-ccd-rv-camera

I was hoping I could do the install while at the RV park after I pickup my unit, but I wonder if a mobile RV tech will be able to do the work. Do I need to find a sound person instead?

MtnBikeMarty

phoenix, az

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/17 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bghouse wrote:

MtnBikeMarty wrote:

Thank you for sharing this. Backup camera is the very first thing I want installed, although I've been eyeballing this model with the additional side cameras so I can see more when driving. https://www.tadibrothers.com/products/7-ultimate-wireless-mirror-rv-backup-camera-system-with-double-ccd-rv-camera

I was hoping I could do the install while at the RV park after I pickup my unit, but I wonder if a mobile RV tech will be able to do the work. Do I need to find a sound person instead?

That's a pretty cool system, side camera's would be nice at times, but the mirrors on mine do pretty good, I can see cars start to pass me in the rear camera, then as soon as they drop out of the cameras lens the mirrors pick up the passing car...ie no blind spots.

The description for the tadibrothers says wireless, but one of the pics of the rear camera shows yellow and red (audio video) cables???

I would guess a mobile RV tech with camera wiring experience would do the job. I was just lucky having my neighbor with car alarm/stereo installation experience ie DC voltage experience and the tools and equipment.... he made a nice wiring harness with fuse to the battery and a neat wiring block under the dashboard (powering the CB radio, car alarm and camera/monitor), plus heat shrink wrapped all the wires and connections..... all for a pizza and some beers...lol

bghouse

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/17 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sat for a while in the Class C cab and practiced looking at the mirrors, and my neck was immediately sore. I realized I constantly check mirrors in my car while driving, and being short in the wider cab area causes me to turn a lot. The side mirrors going into the review should be really great, because that's just natural for me to be constantly checking.

Definitely a good friend you have there!

510dogmom

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/17 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding back up cameras... I went with a wired camera on my back bumper. I definitely wanted a wired camera and was willing to have in on my bumper to allow the wires to run under the chassis. I really like it because I can don't have the lights on the back of the rig blinding the camera and I get a great idea of how close something is behind me. JMHO and YMMV.

bghouse

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/17 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

510dogmom wrote:

Regarding back up cameras... I went with a wired camera on my back bumper. I definitely wanted a wired camera and was willing to have in on my bumper to allow the wires to run under the chassis. I really like it because I can don't have the lights on the back of the rig blinding the camera and I get a great idea of how close something is behind me. JMHO and YMMV.

Interesting, thanks for mentioned the lights issue - didn't think about that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 87  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS