Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking Resources - Tips, Tricks, and Information

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,
I'm starting this thread (that will be a sticky) to provide general information on Boondocking. If anyone has a resource link they want to add to this list, just send me the link via PM and I will add it ASAP. Please don't nominate a link by responding to this thread. And please no campground links, we talkin' Boondocking here. If you have an idea for a new category, then by all means let me know.

Note that not every link can be added, so a nominated link may not make it. But the goal here is to capture useful links that will be of interest in one convenient location.

And thanks for the links.

Categories are listed below:

GENERAL BOONDOCKING TIPS AND INFORMATION:
Mello Mike's Boondocking 101
RV Boondocking News
Camping with Suzi
2oldman's Boondocking Basics and Procedures
Boondocking Info
Mello Mike's 9 Boondocking Tips and Tricks
Freecampsites.net

LOCATION RESOURCES:
Bureau of Land Management (BLM)
Quartzsite, AZ Maps and Info
Band of Boondockers
Free and Low Cost Campsites
Bob's Cheap or Free Campsites
US Forest Service Vehicle Maps

TECHNICAL TIPS INCLUDING SOLAR, WIND AND INVERTERS:
Mello Mike's Solar Power 101
Handy Bob's Solar
Mod My RV
Jack Mayer's Solar and Electrical
Jerry and Cynthia's Solar Power Installation Guide
Mello Mike's Top Five Boondocking Mods

WATER, DUMP SITES AND OTHER RESOURCE TIPS AND LOCATIONS:
Sanidumps
RV Dump Stations
RVDumps.com

OVERNIGHTING:
Who Allows Overnighting?
CA Transient Parking
Fraternal Order of Eagles
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
26 REPLIES 26

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another tip on searching for boondocking sites: create two windows on your computer, side by side. In one window, bring up the motor vehicle use map for the area in question. In the other window, bring up the same area on Google Earth.

Using the MVUM, find the forest roads that seem to be the most promising -- for example, those that are close to your destination or hiking trailheads.

Then jump over to your Google Earth window and "fly" along those particular roads, looking for campsites. You can zoom in a lot -- you can even see fire rings left by prior campers!

Yes, this is tedious. But if you can't scout in person, scouting on the computer is the next best thing.

Plus it is more fun than doing the things that you should be doing, like mowing the lawn or raking leaves. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
Not sure if this tip has been mentioned before, but here it is: if you are boondocked in a really remote spot, take a GPS waypoint in case you decide to go to town and then return to your campsite after dark. Don't ask me how I figured this out.

Dan ... I assume you use Avenza! ๐Ÿ˜‰

(I would use my good old Garmin nuvi 3550LM to do the same thing.)

BTW, when we boondock there's no going into town allowed, unless it's an emergency - in which case we'd hit the SOS button on our inReach Mini.

We only go to a boondock spot fully stocked up just as if we were on an expedition in Outer Mongolia (kindof :B).
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is another "you probably already know this" post, but here it is. You can download the Avenza app and use the national forest Motor Vehicle Use Maps on your phone. It works even without cell coverage, and the MVUM will show your location.

Very handy when scouting boondocking sites!

Next year, right?? ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

yaya
Explorer
Explorer
This is fantastic. Just what I was looking for.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, it's been a long time since anyone has posted a tip in this thread, but I just wanted to alert folks to ihikegps, a really useful phone app. It has downloadable topos that work without cell coverage -- they are satellite based. It is very easy to use. We often use it to pre-mark waypoints for potential boondocking sites, which speeds up the scouting process a lot.

Here is a link:

ihike

And no, I have no connection to this app!!
About our trailer

Dms31699
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, We are traveling from PA to Orlando next week. I am trying to find places where we can stop overnight to stay. My biggest issue is, most places will not allow you to open slide outs. The only way we can get to the back room is to open the slide outs. We have three, two in the back room and then one in the living area. I don't know when we will be stopping or where to book at campground and don't want to spend the extra money. Any suggestions?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Having boondocked at -37 C, yes run the generator--but don't sleep with it on.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Floridastorm wrote:
I know that this question has been asked in other forums. But, can't seem to find any answer. When you are staying overnight in one of the "free" places, like Walmart, Kmart, Cracker Barrel, and a few others, are you able to run your motor home generator? In some parts of the country, in the summer, it is just too hot without AC. Can't run the AC without the generator running.

Thanks

Longest story shortest, likely yes. But see this for a more in-depth answer:
LearnToRV: Wallydocking
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
I recently came across THIS SITE.

Looks like an interesting addition to the various resources listed in this thread.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent thread!

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
I know that this question has been asked in other forums. But, can't seem to find any answer. When you are staying overnight in one of the "free" places, like Walmart, Kmart, Cracker Barrel, and a few others, are you able to run your motor home generator? In some parts of the country, in the summer, it is just too hot without AC. Can't run the AC without the generator running.

Thanks

MustangMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. Will try.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Try the trip planner at https://freecampsites.net/

MustangMike wrote:
Question as new RVers with a 5th Wheel and going south for the first time for a month, (testing the waters). We live outside of Branson, Missouri on Table Rock lake and a headed to Gulf Shores in January. Any suggestions on where to Boondock, going from Branson, to Memphis then into Foley. Thanks!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MustangMike
Explorer
Explorer
Question as new RVers with a 5th Wheel and going south for the first time for a month, (testing the waters). We live outside of Branson, Missouri on Table Rock lake and a headed to Gulf Shores in January. Any suggestions on where to Boondock, going from Branson, to Memphis then into Foley. Thanks!