Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 156  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally got the new deck sealed. Definitely not going to reseal in August ever again. I'm putting it on the April schedule.

A skulk of foxes strolled across the driveway two mornings ago, 3 adults and 2 kits. Luckily, the cats were asleep and missed the parade. The day before that, an adult fox came by, startling both cats and itself. The cats dashed back into the house, Rudy growling and Czarny looking concerned. The fox dashed to the driveway, sat down, and looked back at the house for a bit, then headed down the meadow. I think this fox was the one that played with Spotacus, but is too wary of two cats to want to play with these guys - not that either wants to play with the fox.

This morning, Czarny flew across the pool deck, around the pool and inside the house, all puffed up. As he headed under the bed, Rudy ran inside. WLToo checked and saw Leoghaire coming up the slope. Rudy's the big, brave hunter when Leoghaire is eating corn on the north porch, chittering away through the window. But neither cat wants to be anywhere near her outside. Good. Best they not interact.

Rudy is getting so he comes when I call him; Czarny, not so much. But he is noticing that Rudy gets treats when he answers me, so I have hopes that Czarny will decide treats are more important than running around outside when we want him inside. Meanwhile, Rudy is rubbing all over WLToo now, since he's the treats purveyor, and neither cat backs away when WLToo puts the treats down. One day, they'll sit on his lap -- I just know it.

There's a wasp hanging out underneath the hummingbird feeder. Sometimes, it tries to chase the hummers away, and sometimes it just stays in place. I don't think the feeder leaks, and we certainly don't allow a nest to be built under it, so it's just an interesting thing to watch for now. When I refilled the feeder yesterday, the wasp flew up toward my face, I blew gently, and it flew away, so it's not one of the aggressive sort. Did not get a close enough look at it to determine what kind, other than it's not a yellow jacket. Around here, we see a yellow jacket, it dies. Red wasps, mud daubers, etc., are fine -- they aren't aggressive toward us or our critters, they eat undesirable insects, and they don't make a mess, so they can stay.

There was a wasp earlier that did chase the hummers around, until a barn swallow swooped in and grabbed it right in its middle. That's the last aggressive wasp we've seen this year.

The swallows have migrated already, and I do miss them so. They've been replaced by a woodpecker with a love of banging on the plastic covering on the power line connections. At least that's not near as annoying as the woodpecker that banged on our metal chimney cover every Sunday morning back in Virginia. Woodpeckers like to play like that...

A huge flock of bitty birds has been hanging around the last week or so. They move around in a mob, and I haven't gotten a close enough look at them to see what they are. Their presence might explain why we don't have ankle biting insects in the early evening anymore. Hope they stay a while.

Sister's house is on the market, and the realtor's pretty sure it will sell quickly, after walking in and seeing how we'd staged it and that it was pristine clean. Last Saturday, we drove around the lake, getting a feel for whatever neighborhoods she liked. Her initial criteria was it has to be no more than 10 minutes drive from us, but now she's reaching out further (whew). Some really nice places coming up, within her budget, but a bit farther than that 10 minute criteria. By the time she sells her place and is ready to make an offer, she should have a much better idea of which neighborhood she'll want to be in.

There are a couple of cats eyeing me. Guess it's play time. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny and Rudy, cat brothers extraordinaire
Spotacus--Rainbow Bridge

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's hear it for the birds (eating insects)!

It's a good thing the feline boys are avoiding the foxes. I'm hearing about problems with foxes carrying rabies this year.

I told our relatives that a minimum of 25-30 minutes from us would make us all comfortable. They listened ... thankfully.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our foxes look to be pretty healthy and happy. They will sit and listen to a human chat to them, then get a drink from the water trough and head to their hunting ground beyond our fence. So far, they are as afraid of the cats as the cats are afraid of them. That's good. Thanks to the foxes and rat snakes, we've only seen one rodent (a rat) here on the property in the entire 9 years we've lived here. Mr. Rat didn't last long.

With the heat, the cats are not much interested in being outside. They prefer sleeping on a bed in the sunlight.

Last week was annual shots and exam day. I slipped up on Rudy and got him into a carrier easily. Czarny fought tooth and claws (I have the scabs and scars) before we finally stuffed him into his carrier. He called us all kinds of names during the ride over. We let them out in the exam room, and they both immediately hid behind the computer monitor, which made it very easy for the vet tech to pull one out at a time. The actual exam went fine, shots given, and Rudy was happy to go back into the carrier. Czarny argued vociferously again, but the vet and vet tech finally prevailed. He was not so noisy going home. They did both avoid us the rest of the day, but came out for evening treats and follow-up pettins.

I found a full bottle of Spotacus' medication, and called the animal shelter to see if they had a cat prescribed Dasuquin. They did, so I donated it. One less item cluttering up the house.

Speaking of clutter, WLToo has decided to play with his N-scale model railroad stuff again. The dining room table is covered in plastic building kits, rolling stock, and some 70+ engines. He's dreaming again of a building just for his trains. Guess I'll be sorting the budget to set aside that money. On the up side, the sooner the building exists, the sooner he'll get all his train stuff out of the room that's supposed to be a library/office/sewing room. Think I'll work a little faster....

We inaugurated the deck with a pool party last Sunday. Brought Mom up on Saturday so she could see it and party, and took her back to the city on Monday. WLToo made a table from the leftover deck cedar, and new chair cushions are inbound. The umbrella shades the entire sitting area, and with an evening breeze, even these hot days are lovely out there. Made sitting on the porch too hot in comparison, so we're putting ceiling fans on the north porch, which we can safely use now that the barn swallows have migrated.

The joys of home ownership. It's great.

Time to call Freightliner about Obi-Wander's recall. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a cat that would complain all the way to the vet unless the country music station was turned on. None of that new stuff either. He would only quiet down to the classic country station.

I have my own "man-shed" for my woodworking. WL2 needs his man-shed for trains. Herself knows if I'm in the man-shed she's better off just leaving me alone. Every now and then I re-emerge to grab a sandwich and disappear again. Love that quiet.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WLToo has taken over most of the garage with his woodworking. There's just enough room for my pickup on the far end. His pickup has to stay outside.

All of his hobbies take up an enormous amount of space. The office/library/sewing room was supposed to be my space. So was the music room, which now has all his hunting gear and a Murphy bed taking up most of the space around the piano. Why couldn't he collect thimbles or something tiny? Sheesh.

Your cat reminds me of Spotacus. As long as I played the complete works of George Strait or other male country stars on those long trips back and forth to Mom's old place, he was perfectly happy. Best traveling cat ever, he was.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep Spotacus was a keeper.

Maybe you can get an old quonset hut for himself?

* This post was edited 08/15/19 07:52pm by magnusfide *

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/19 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nah, a quonset hut is a bad configuration. The most expensive part will be the concrete pad and the WC plumbing. The actual building will be a garage kit without the garage doors. I look forward to the day the office/library/sewing room really is one...

The excessive heat index is down. Highs have been in the lower 90s, and the humidity dropped back to normal. Still, the cats are not much on being outside in that weather, thankfully.

One of the foxes strolled across the south porch two mornings ago. I saw it, tapped on the sliding door, and it sat down and watched me. I think it was the one who played with Spotacus. When it realized I was not going to open the door, it went to Leoghaire's dish, finished the apple peels in there, and went on its way.

Our neighbor to the immediate north came over and introduced himself. He was searching for his cat. We now know who the black cat is that so annoyed Alex and Spotacus. Stevie hasn't been spotted on our property for quite a while, nor has Bella, the Siamese mix. Neighbor said Spotacus would come visit sometimes, and they quite liked him. He texted later that missing cat was in a hall closet, angry because they are about to go on a trip, and the cats can't go with them this time. They normally travel with their people when they take their fifth wheel, but this is an air trip to Canada, to visit her folks. Neighbor also said the foxes like to lounge in their yard, and foxes and cats all ignore each other. Nice to know we're not the only ones who are comfortable with some of the local wildlife.

About a half mile away, the ground is being cleared for a 35 unit Independent Living building. While we're all outraged that they clear cut ALL of the live oaks from the property, it is a very needed building here. I'm researching how to get Mom on the list for one of the apartments. Even though it won't have a central cafeteria, Sister and I could easily ensure Mom has lots to eat that she doesn't have to cook in the rather large kitchen each unit will have. WLToo suggested we could get Mom a golf or utility cart (UTV?) for the ½ mile trek to our place. I know Mom would love to live up here, but does not want to be isolated from folks her age; this could be the answer.

Got the recall on Obi-Wander's basement door latches. They don't have the parts assembled yet, though. We still have the Freightliner recall to get done, but Obi seems to be doing just fine for now.

Bedtime. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see a lot of assisted living, memory care and independent living places going up. Supply and demand.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

I see a lot of assisted living, memory care and independent living places going up. Supply and demand.

Same around here. Also subdivisions of smaller homes like we moved to 4 years ago. We're a mix of old guys like us and young people starting out before building families.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (10 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 2 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mom's staying with us a few days, while the electric company finally replaces a dangerously leaning power pole beside her Independent Living facility. With the daytime temps still in the 90s, she'd rather be in our air conditioning, instead of sweltering for ever how many hours it takes to replace the pole.

Czarny and Rudy do like the morning low 70s. They went outside and failed to answer when I called at the usual time for them to come back inside. That concerned me a bit, but decided to eat brunch, then call again. So about an hour later, when I called, Czarny came right up. Rudy took longer, but finally showed up. I'm still teaching them that if they respond to my call, they get treats. Alex and Spotacus learned that lesson very quickly; these two are much slower on the uptake.

WLToo has covered the dining table with N-scale railroad model buildings again. He found another fox of kits he'd never put together. Where he's going to store the completed buildings is a mystery to me -- the garage is already full of stuff waiting on a structure to be built to contain it. Sigh.

Just got word that an Army buddy likely only has about 24 hours left. Johns Hopkins tried all kinds of experimental treatments, and one nearly killed him through anaphylactic shock. The others prolonged his life, but could not stop the cancer. We're standing by, ready to get Nephew over here to cat sit while we go to Virginia.

The most hated word in our world is "cancer."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 156  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS