Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 155  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turned out the cats refused to have anything to do with Nephew, not even for treats. They only came out when he was asleep or not inside. When we got home, they clung to me like sticker burrs.

Two days after we got home, BIL died. Family said don't come back up. No funeral. Later this year, they'll take a cottage by the sea and scatter his ashes in the Pacific.

The day after we got home, we started helping Sister complete her move up to the lake. Been helping her clean and fix stuff in the old house, to have it ready for selling next week. One last push tomorrow, where Mom and I stage the house for her, then we're done with that.

Meanwhile, we cut down an overgrown juniper beside the swimming pool, in anticipation of the new deck being built in a couple weeks. The old, rotten deck was demolished yesterday, then cleanup today. Concrete goes in tomorrow, then decking materials will get delivered next week. The tree fought WLToo through four chainsaws. I didn't know we had four chainsaws. But it's down, and when he gets at least one of them fixed, we'll cut the longer branches into fence posts.

Also fit in taking Mom to the doctor, working at the library, and enjoying our improved view of the lake.
[image]

With all the changes happening around here, Leoghaire patrols past the house at least three times per day, walking up onto the south porch and checking to see if we're still here. The hummingbirds were confused about the missing tree for a few hours, then resumed normal activity. The cats are not happy. They were allowed outside for a little while this evening, after we used the big magnet to pick up any metal left over from demolition. They sniffed every inch of one newly exposed patch of almost dirt, but startled and dashed back inside with each cheer from the beer pong game at our neighbors' place.

Retirement can be exhausting...

Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny and Rudy, cat brothers extraordinaire
Spotacus--Rainbow Bridge

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice view. I'm sure you're exhausted after all of that. Sounds like the chain saws need sharpening.

I'm sorry about your BIL. That's never easy losing family. Cuddle up with the furry boys and reassure them they are not abandoned [emoticon]

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, that house staging didn't happen. The painter was not finished, the house wasn't fully emptied of all non-staging items, and it was still in need of cleaning. Mom and I did what we could before age caught up with us both.

Sometime this week, the house will finally be ready to sell. Given the local market, I don't see her having any trouble selling, and then Two Guys & A Truck will move out the last of her stuff. Finding the right house at the lake will be the next challenge. Houses in her budget are either too tiny (just vacation homes), too much a fixer upper, of just plain weird, and yet they are flying off the market. When she can focus only on the lake, she'll be able to jump on the very hottest listings and eventually score a new home.

Tall and Short Friends are enjoying their time in Arcadia NP, Maine. We don't hear from them much, as it's a wilderness with no cell phone coverage.

The concrete was poured yesterday. It doesn't quite match the pebbly stuff already there, as the new concrete has larger pebbles, but it works for us. Just waiting on the cedar to be delivered this week, and then they'll start building the new and improved deck in a week or so. Looking forward to that.

I see the hummers need more nectar. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moving and it's associated activities rarely keeps on schedule. I'm seeing that right now it's a sellers' market meaning there's more buyers than houses. Hope she can find something she likes. When we were house hunting years ago, we saw a lot of "artsy" type houses for sale that really didn't appeal to us.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got sister's house staged and pristine clean. Realtor walked inside and said, "Wow!" Listing goes active on Thursday, and he envisions a quick sale. Based on the amount the realtor said it will sell for, Sister is now looking at some higher priced homes around the lake. She's very interested in one that just went up for sale on the corner of our street. Not sure I'd be real comfortable that close, but there's plenty of time and houses for her to look over.

Meanwhile, the deck is finished.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The cats are still evaluating the new appearance. Czarny will walk around the deck with me, but so far Rudy is not going there. He's a little chuffed that the old hidey hole is gone.

Leoghaire brought a fawn with her yesterday, allowing it to eat corn from Leoghaire's dish. Nice looking fawn; no idea if it's hers, but based on her earlier behavior, we don't think so.

WLToo says dinner's ready. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Decking looks great. Czarny is the more brave one, Rudy the more cautious. Hope your sis finds what she wants in a house.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lovely day today, only got to 90, with a pleasant breeze. We spent most of it outside. Another record challenging low tonight (broke the record last night), then we'll gradually be moving back into the mid-90s and higher humidity.

Meanwhile, zebra mussels blocked several of the water company's intake pipes in the lake, so they've asked everyone to just use water inside the home until they can get the pipes cleared. I'm still gonna add water to the deer trough...

Short Friend just advised us that she has Lyme Disease, from ticks so small they look like poppy seeds. I had a co-worker catch that. She wound up with a port in her arm, so she could add IV antibiotics 3 times a day for weeks. Hope SF's isn't that serious. She did say the pain is pretty severe, but it was caught very early.

Have a terrible case of the sleepies, so I'll say good night.

Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad SF caught that early. Lyme's can be treated if it's done aggressively.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/19 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We decided on a "staycation" and moved into the RV. Carried the cats over in their carriers, so they were thoroughly disgruntled. Then they wandered up and down the RV, yakking and screaming up a storm. I left for several hours, riding around with Sister while she gets a feel for the various neighborhoods in which she plans to look for a house. WLToo said as soon as I left, Rudy tucked himself under the street side night stand, and Czarny crawled under the bed covers and my pillow. They were still there when I returned, but when they woke up, they were a whole lot calmer.

Bedtime was another matter. Czarny discovered a new game: reach under the bathroom door and pull the bath mat into the hallway, then drag it around as noisily as possible. After the third time, I put it in the shower and made a note to find a better storage place for it when it's not in use. Rudy stood in the hall and meowed a lot, then jumped on the bed, crawled under the covers, purred loudly, then raced away -- multiple times all night. Eventually, Czarny joined in, minus all the meowing. WLToo slept through all of this. I'm dragging today.

Anyway, we decided they're okay inside the RV, so we opened the door and invited them outside. Czarny was right out; Rudy took longer and shook a lot. He immediately crawled under the RV, while Czarny ate grass. I finally got them to walk toward me, where they finally realized they'd been home the entire time, and shot toward the house door. After going in and out as usual, they are back to normal.

We're putting stuff back in the RV, so we'll keep it air conditioned another few days. Then we need to get it to Freightliner for that recall fix. Meanwhile, one of the warranty fixes did not fix. The bathroom door frame was cut just a hair too wide, so the door does not stay shut. They didn't succeed in fixing it, but WLToo will install a shim behind the latch panel so the bolt will stay in place, and that should finally fix it.

I stocked up on black Gorilla tape, in anticipation of the basement latches fix not working. Considering there's now a recall on same, but no idea when Winnebago will notify us to get it in for that fix, I'm being cautious. Next trip we'll have plenty of tape to keep those doors shut!

Leoghaire comes by for a daily feed and casual conversation, sometimes with that fawn and sometimes not. We're pretty convinced the fawn was orphaned and Leoghaire is letting it hang with her. It's old enough to have been fully weaned before its mom disappeared, and is slowly becoming accustomed to humans pouring out something for it to eat. Who knows? It may be the next to be our resident doe (if it is a doe).

Gettin sleepy. Nap time. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The games that felines play. I sleep right through them but herself tells me in detail about midnight shenanigans hoping I'll be sorry for her.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 155  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS