Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 153  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No storms here, just nasty humidity.

The boys only stayed outside this morning for a little over an hour, when the humidity convinced them to come back inside. Then we went to Tall and Short Friends' for lunch and a couple of movies. When we came home, a several hours old fawn was prancing around the north porch. Pretty obvious it was born right next to the house. I believe the doe is Leoghaire's fawn from several years ago.

Here's the new arrival:

[image]

We came into the house and looked out the north windows. Baby and mom were right by the porch. Czarny jumped onto the cat tree, but was busy trying to get me to let him outside. Rudy looked out the door, saw the fawn, and alerted. Then he joined his brother on the tree and Czarny finally noticed. Silly guys -- that fawn's slightly bigger than they are, with a very protective mom. Not that we were letting them outside, anyway.

Just a few minutes ago, I saw the fawn dash up the hill toward the porch, then turn and dash back down. Mom is still close by. All the dashing convinces me that Leoghaire is the fawn's grandmother, as Leoghaire did exactly the same thing her first few hours of life.

I see the hummingbird feeder is empty. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny and Rudy, kitten brothers extraordinaire
Spotacus--Rainbow Bridge

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leoghaire's Legacy[emoticon]

Glad you aren't getting those storms. I see on the weather channel there's another bad system hitting Texas and Oklahoma. Stay safe!

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been helping Sister pack an astounding amount of stuff, then hauling it to a storage unit near us. Tall and Short Friend asked her to move into their place, while they take the FW up to Maine to volunteer at Acadia NP. They'll be leaving in a week or so.

It's a great plan. Sister can vacate her house, leaving it staged with some of her furniture, and live at T&SF's place. No realtor appointments necessary (she works from home), no rushing around to clean up before they arrive, no fear of pets getting out. She'll take care of their place, get/forward their mail, pay the utilities, and be right here each time her realtor finds a place she might like. Her house should sell quickly, giving her plenty of time to find a new home and get moved in before T&SF return in November.

Her cats should thoroughly enjoy sitting on the floor, looking out the glass doors toward the golf course and resident deer herd. Her indoor dog will appreciate the one story plan; his legs are too short for negotiating her current home's stairs without a lot of effort.

Meanwhile, Leoghaire comes up several times a day, but we only drop corn into her doggie dish once a day. She's still being very aggressive toward the cats, so we watch closely when they are outside. Luckily, they prefer lounging on the north porch for the most part, under the glider sofa. The other two does seem to recognize the cats are just part of the scenery. Leoghaire is too busy being pushy. I had to stomp my foot and snort at her yesterday, before she stopped moving toward Rudy, who was being entirely too brave, standing in the open and staring at her.

Rudy especially enjoys sitting directly under the hummingbird feeder and chittering at them. They just ignore him. When not chittering, he and Czarny both chase bugs. So far, they have not met any scorpions or giant red-headed centipedes. I did find a GRH centipede in the shower the other day. It was only 1.5" long, so I was able to wash it down the drain. They can live down under the trees and eat scorpions, but if they come into the house, they die.

Czarny's inviting me to play. Later, y'all.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who's that knocking at my door?
Said the old gal Regan.

It's only me, I've come to feed
I'm Leoghaire the Doe Amazing
I know just where the corn is shared
I'm Leoghaire the Doe Amazing
I'll kick the door 'til tree frogs croak
Then eat my corn, and stomp and snort
So pour it out, at least a quart
And I'll be back tomorrow.

Once upon a time, we had deer come up on the porch and leave muzzle marks on the glass. Today, we have a doe who knocks on the door.

Yup. Leoghaire knows we keep the corn in the garage. Yesterday, WLToo was in the garage when he heard knocking on the access door. When he opened it, Leoghaire was standing there. She's kicking at the door to let us know she wants her corn.

I'll try to get a video tomorrow. I doubt we'll be at home when she comes up for her evening feed today.

Meanwhile, in the home maintenance side, it's time for a new pool pump. This one is not powerful enough after last year's pool rehab, and then it developed a pinhole leak this morning. So I spent all morning doing pump research. Made my brain hurt.

It's hot. I'm going swimming. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep the boys safe from the great beastie.

Leoghaire's antics have got me thinking of all the "knocking" songs:
Knock 3 Times on the Ceiling
Knock on Wood
She Knocks Me Off My Feet
Knock Yourself Out
Never Again (Will I Knock on Your Door)

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leoghaire now seems to be a lone doe. No sign of a fawn. No sign of other does. Kinda concerned about the area deer population now.

She comes up several times a day, but we only feed her in the evening. While she dines, the kittens stare out the windows and chitter at her.

The boys met their first scorpion a couple nights ago. I believe Rudy got stung, from the way he reacted. But he was fine next day. The scorpion was smashed into goo. I hate it when they actually make it inside the house.

Learned something important today. Fire ants do NOT, local lore notwithstanding, eat ticks. They eat the same thing red harvester ants eat, small plants and sap (red ants also eat dead insects they happen on). Therefore, all fire ants are gonna DIE! Maybe the red ant population will increase, and therefore the protected Texas horn lizard (horny toad) will bounce back. The ticks will still get eaten by the scorpions, giant red-headed centipedes, and other lizard varieties. We certainly haven't seen any ticks here for years, so something's eating them.

Our swimming pool pump died, at over 20 years old -- pretty good run. While we wait on the new one to arrive, each swim session will begin with a good surface clean to sweep up all the bugs. Then, as I work out, I'll keep sweeping up whatever I stir up. We'll use the pool vacuum every day to keep the water moving. At present, the rains have filled the pool to the very upper edge, so the pump would have been inefficient in the first place, but I'll feel a lot better when the new pump is installed.

Supper's ready. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used Amdro on red ant hills and it wipes them out.

Sorry to hear about the deer. Where we live the deer population increases and decreases. One year black tongue was a problem for them.

Absolutely hate scorpion season. Miserable. Found a small garter snake in the house once too. Don't know how it got in but it didn't leave alive.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WL whassup?

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. Didn't realize I hadn't posted in so long.

It's been manic of late. First, the pool pump died. We got a new one installed, but it can't go up to the rpm needed to really cycle the water, because the old filter system can't take those rpm. So we need a new filter system. Meanwhile, the heat and slow water movement contribute to an almost constant battle with green algae. It can literally form overnight. So Crazy WL plays with chemicals every other day. Sheesh. We also run the pool vacuum multiple times a day, sucking out the dead algae.

Then WLToo got a horrible phone call on his birthday. His only sibling, older brother, is in home hospice with congestive heart failure. We put Nephew Two on house and cat sitting duty and flew to visit BIL one more time. We have serious travel exhaustion right now, and BIL's extended family are loud and numerous. Not being used to that, they are kind of tiring, too.

At least Nephew Two has a good handle on the pool situation. His relationship with Czarny and Rudy is developing fairly quickly, as they figured out fast that he's the new purveyor of kitty treats. Czarny might sleep with him, but I don't think Rudy will.

Meanwhile, Sister has almost finished moving out of her house and into Tall and Short Friends'. With BIL's situation, she's calling on her friends to help her finish, as we are not available. Good thing she has lots of friends with pickups...

Drooping real bad, so I'm off to bed. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope you've recovered by now. Sorry to hear about the BIL. It seems the older we get the fewer the relations left. Glad you have a built in pet and house sitter. They come in handy. Glad to see you back on-board.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 153  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS