Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus the Christmas Cat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus the Christmas Cat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 114  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doing the happy dance. I'm home for good. The auction is done, everything's gone, the new property owners are beyond excited about their new home. Some paperwork left to do for closing, not requiring Mom's presence, so in effect, we're done.

Tall and Short Friends got home from Wisconsin yesterday, a couple hours before I got home. Spotacus was deliriously happy that all of his humans are here. He went from one to another constantly, demanding we all worship him, before flopping on one of the pool loungers and taking a nap. We humans will celebrate this evening with beef stroganoff and lots of wine.

Our hummingbirds are still with us. We have a number of fall wildflowers in bloom, so they're hanging about a bit longer.

WLToo heard coyotes the other night, so we're keeping an eye out. The foxes Spotacus can easily handle; they don't want to tangle with him. But coyotes are another matter. Luckily, at night Spotacus is more interested in sleeping on the porch than in patrolling. Patrolling is his morning job.

Beautiful day. A/C is off and the windows are drawing a lovely breeze through the whole house.

No word on L'Andante's refit. Probably impacted by Harvey. But we don't have any trips in the near future, either, so it's fine.

Off to sort more stuff to give away. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Spotacus--Christmas cat
DOTL Spec. Alexander the Grrreat--tuxedo cat, Rainbow Division

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's no place like home. Coyotes start prowling just before sundown. Please bring him in before then. Please. They're hungry after the storms.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/17 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heated up again, so the A/C is back on. Luckily, it means the swimming pool is still perfect swimming temperature, so Short Friend and I have been thoroughly enjoying ourselves.

The hummingbird feeder was fully occupied yesterday. All stations had hummers topping off, and the resident was unable to even get their attention. So when one flew away, it joined the others. After they all left, it perched on top of the feeder for a good while. I just looked outside, and it's sitting on top again. Fierce little things, they are.

We haven't seen the adults lately, but one fawn keeps pacing the south fence line, inside our property, every evening. It's fine, so its doe is around somewhere.

WLToo and Tall Friend went to a gun show. Short Friend and I are about to just lounge around the pool all day. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/17 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds nice. Almost as if the storms never happened. [emoticon]

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/17 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems we're down to only the resident hummer. I see it sitting on the feeder with no other birds coming by. Wonder how long it will stay. When it leaves varies each year. One very mild winter, it stayed all year - no idea what it was finding to eat, but it sure was draining the feeder.

A fawn stays in our meadow, even with the gate open. It walks the fence several times a day right across from the house, and seems to be interested in interacting with us. WLToo wonders if it's being shunned for some reason. We don't see it with a doe or with the herd, always alone. Will keep watching and talking with it, and if it's a doe, we just might have another "family" member. We'll see.

Spotacus is bewildered at the moment. We just took delivery of new leather recliners, and they don't have as much room in the seat for him to lay beside his person. Well, there's plenty of lap...

Time to go work at the library. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/17 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] Wait! What!?? New leather recliners without enough seat room for Spotacus??!!!!!! Send them back! Get a refund!!! Get different seats!!! SOMETHING! You can't just go and change your main man's routine! Ooooooh the humanity!!!!!!

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/17 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

[emoticon] Wait! What!?? New leather recliners without enough seat room for Spotacus??!!!!!! Send them back! Get a refund!!! Get different seats!!! SOMETHING! You can't just go and change your main man's routine! Ooooooh the humanity!!!!!!
[emoticon]

Oh, well, too late. But Spotacus has found the wide arms to be most comfortable. He plants his backside on the human, his front on the arm, and it's snooze city for kitty.

Meanwhile, L'Andante is home from her fixing up, and wow, does she look good. Inside, anyway. We still need to do a few things outside, but I believe she'll keep us on the road most comfortably for some time to come.

Here's the newly covered dinette and the floor:
[image]

Instead of a cheesy chair that banged into the passenger seat, we now have a TV in a box. This is with TV stored:
[image]

And this is with TV extended:
[image]

Where the old, heavy analog TV was, they cut out the frame jutting down to head banging height and put in this storage unit:
[image]

The shower wall was cracked, so they put in an all new shower:
[image]

And the old bedroom TV was replaced with a flat screen. The whole thing opens up for more storage behind it:
[image]

Just getting rid of the old, crappy carpet did wonders. Can't say enough about how nice the new floor is. I do like this old RV.

* This post was edited 09/23/17 10:45pm by Wanderlost *

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/17 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad Spotacus adapted. Funny how he parks himself. Maybe it's more convenient? Good man!

The redo looks great. Better than paying loans and you're already comfortable with the layout! Well done!

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/17 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rainy day, perfect for lazing around. Well, that's what Spotacus, Short Friend and I are doing. WLToo and Tall Friend headed up to Cabela's. Who knows what they'll be dragging home...

Got some homework for the Native Plants 101 class we're taking next weekend. Looking forward to that. My winter project, hopefully not interrupted this time, is to get that butterfly and hummingbird garden built. Right now, I'm watching three hummers challenge each other for the feeder. They definitely need more nectar sources. The only downside to the garden is its location, not within sight from the great room, but will certainly spruce up the approach to the house. A nice shaded seating area within will be a good place to enjoy birds and flutterbys (old Scots word).

Ahh, back to lazing. Later, y'all.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/17 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After filling two hummingbird feeders twice a day for three days, I made up a double batch. Naturally, they all left. Seems we're down to just the one resident hummer now, but for several days it was a mob scene every few minutes. Love those fierce little things. Ever seen a whole line of hummers hovering and looking into the window? Well, they did just that each time I took down a feeder to refill.

A roadrunner was on the pool deck a few minutes ago. WLToo says he hasn't seen one on the deck all year. Clearly, Spotacus being asleep in bed helps...

The deer are in a fearsome state. Someone is definitely poaching, and the only safe place they know is in our meadow. But they're now afraid of us, too. I shall urge WLToo to increase the feeder output. We also had watermelon the other night, and we cut up the rinds into deer size bits and scattered them around the feeder. I guess that was popular; nothing left out there. With all the rain, the meadow can support a good size herd for a while, but we may have to get the game warden to investigate. Considering this area is a non-hunting zone (has to be on plots of 10 or more acres), not even the opening of deer season next month is a valid reason to be shooting deer.

I don't doubt that a fox got at least one or two pieces of watermelon. Spotacus was desperate to go outside very early yesterday morning, but when WLToo looked outside, he saw a fox pooping on our pool deck. Spotacus did not appreciate that -- a bit of territory invasion in his kitty mind. We did not let him out.

Speaking of the pool, it's still very, very warm, so Short Friend and I are still swimming. In fact, that's a great idea. Off to swim. Later, y'all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 114  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus the Christmas Cat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS