Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus the Christmas Cat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus the Christmas Cat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 111  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Dashonthedash

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/17 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So Ruger gave Spotacus the Greyhound Goose? That is well known by we who are owned by the needle-nosed pooches. Not so much by Spotacus, apparently.

Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 6-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 3-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Col. Dash (GSD) and Spec. Lily (Greyhound) and Spec. Molly (GSD Mix) - DOTL Rainbow Division, in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/17 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apparently they're crawling under cars and onto front porches. Keep a close eye on your fur-kids!
Hurricane Harvey: Beware of Gators.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

CA POPPY

Santa Clarita, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/17 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let us know you and your posse survived Harvey when you can. Sounds like a nightmare!

Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're ok, some roof damage and consequent leaks, and will have to replace walls in the garage and office, where they got saturated. Given how bad the damage is elsewhere, who knows how long it will be before the materials are available... Meanwhile, we'll spray it with a bleach solution to cut down on mold.

Sister took dogs and went home Sunday. Luckily, no damage at her place. For some reason, Nephew Two stayed here another night, with the cats. They went home this morning.

After the dogs left, all three cats relaxed. Spotacus and Monty engaged in a lot of silent long-distance staring. Early this morning, Spotacus was talking amiably in the great room. I went to see what was going on, and he was talking to Kit, who was crouched down by the island stools. When I came into sight, she leapt up and dashed back into the spare bedroom. Spotacus seemed a bit disappointed, but decided to just go outside. I think he rather liked her.

Got an email from Marcus Lemonis about donating clothing, so WLToo and I finally cleaned out the unworn clothes we'd been saving for when we lost weight and could wear them. Took them to the local CW, where they have a FW toy hauler in which to place the donations. Two hours after I read the email, that FW was already half full of donations.

Our house now feels lighter, if a bit moist.

Nephew One texted his mom last night. His company rescued 2000 people and a number of pets yesterday. His chopper alone pulled out 22 people and two dogs. They'll be there as long as needed.

As I drove back up the driveway, the doe and fawn herd was gathered at the feeder, by the windmill and grain wagon. They all seem just fine.

I think the winds are down enough to put the hummingbird feeder back out, so I'll do that now. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Spotacus--Christmas cat
DOTL Spec. Alexander the Grrreat--tuxedo cat, Rainbow Division

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to know you are unharmed. The devastation reminds me of Katrina.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So Regan: how are you all faring???

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/17 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're fine. Not doing much of anything, since some idiot put out a rumor on social media that there was a gas shortage. There wasn't, until the panic stricken fools created one.

Now Sister and I don't know if we can find enough gas to get our vehicles out of this area and into less panic-prone areas for a fill up before we take Mom to her house auction. We may not be able to get there at this rate of stupid. If not, brother and SIL will fly in, and they can decide if the high bid is acceptable. I have a full tank on my motorcycle, but I don't think I could carry Mom's stuff back on it... Sure would be a nice ride up and back, though.

I was cleaning out the hummingbird feeder and wondering why there are black spots all over the top. I was thinking mildew, when the brain finally kicked in. Duh! So that's what hummingbird poop looks like: teeny, tiny little dots. The migration hasn't begun, so we're still just watching 3-5 hummers around here.

Spotacus has moved back outside. He prefers to nap on the north porch, coming in only for a drink and a snack, until bedtime. He usually beats us into bed.

I just saw on GasBuddy that more and more stations in the county seat have fuel, so maybe, just maybe, the panic is dying down. If they still have gas tomorrow, I'll make the trek. Not gonna take another chance on being told there's gas, going, and finding out there's no gas. Don't have enough gas left to do that.

I think it's time for a swim. Later, y'all.

Dashonthedash

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/17 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's plenty of gas here, it's just going for $3 a gallon!

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/17 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you all are okay. Spotacus has the right idea for a perfect routine IMO. The gasoline crisis may re-emerge if Irma hits your coastline.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/17 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I watched the local stations for a couple days, before venturing out this morning. Success, got filled up. When the stations finally stopped letting folks fill up anything but their vehicles, seems to have started calming things down. That, and the local news pointing out that four refineries are back to full function already, and there was never a shortage in the first place...

The biggest one in Port Arthur is being assessed for any damage before it starts up, but if Valero doesn't have to repair it, it would start back up within a couple weeks, as long as Irma keeps away.

If Irma gets into the Gulf and heads toward Texas, it would be bad. Real bad.

Another real bad: Hummingbird migration is in full swing. The city of Rockport is covered in hummers, but all the plants were destroyed, along with most of the town (Rockport's annual hummingbird festival would have been next week). Our local wildlife folks are gathering as many feeders, poles to attach them to, sugar and water, and will be heading to Rockport, in hopes of saving as many hummers as possible from dying on the migration. I'm off to buy up all the feeders in the local Ace Hardware and take them to the Wild Birds Unlimited store.

Our hummers are still here. Hope they'll make the migration ok.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 111  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus the Christmas Cat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS