cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New and Improved Border FAQ's

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer

DISCLAIMER: Although I believe this information was correct when I wrote it, and may still be correct when you cross the border, you have to watch out for what I call the "Red Clown Nose Contingency" (RCNC). If your situation is the least bit out of the ordinary, you run the risk of allowing the border official to deviate from his normal routine. And no matter what the rules say, the official standing in front of you has the final say. So if he says that you have to be wearing a Red Clown Nose to get across then, unless you have immediate access to someone higher in the food chain, you better start looking for a costume shop!

So beware of the RCNC

A well prepared group!

INDEX
A) GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
  1. Individual Identification
  2. Children under 18
  3. Tourist Permits (FM-T)
  4. FM-T Exemption Areas
  5. Types of FM-T

B) VEHICLES
  1. Personal motor vehicles in Mรฉxico
  2. Drivers License
  3. Who can drive your vehicle?
  4. Registration
  5. Insurance
  6. Copies
  7. Temporary Import Permit (TIP)
    1. General
    2. Mainland Mexico
    3. [url=]Baja and Northern Sonora
    4. Sonora
      1. Sonora Free Zone
      2. Sonora Only Zone
  8. 10 Year RV Permit
  9. Banjericto TIP website
  10. Canceling a 10 Year RV Permit

C) OTHER STUFF
  1. Bringing your kids
  2. Bringing your pets
  3. Boat Permits
  4. Harbor Permits
  5. Fishing License
  6. Mexican Sports Fishing Regulations
    1. Bag and Possession Limits
    2. Violations

D) Crossing back into the US
  1. Documentation for Reentry into the U.S.
  2. U.S. Agricultural Quarantine Information
  3. Prohibited Items
    1. Fruits and Vegetables
    2. Plants and Seeds
    3. Meat and Game
    4. Eggs
    5. Live Birds
    6. Straw
  4. Permitted Items
    1. Fruits and Vegetables
    2. Nuts
  5. Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs, and Firearms
Turtle & Toad, On the Road
37' Georgetown XL w/3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, & 595 watts of solar power
06 Taco TRD (for "Off the Road")
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here
Only States/Provinces that I have spent at least a week in are shown
53 REPLIES 53

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
Good info but I think that, for wider dissemination, you should start a new thread.
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Sothamericatrav
Explorer
Explorer
ATTENTION: "LA MESILLA" BORDER GUATEMALA/MEXICO DO NOT TAKE THIS! The reason for not traveling on the CA-1 Highway south to Huehuetenango, and south is: The local pueblos have erected over 300 Topes (tumulos in Guatemala) SPEEDBUMPS in english, in the first 80 miles south of the Mexico border!!!

The highway is in very good condition, with the exception of these "Road Hazard Speedbumps"....each town has up to eight!! and they are BIG...called "Dolly Pardon" by one of the tourists on the Trekoftheamericas RV Expedition in October,2013!!

If you are already on the Pan Am Highway southbound from San Cristobal de la Casas, you can cut over westbound, before the border with Guatemala onto the Buenos Aires/Huxla road that crosses to the Hwy 200 mex. and cross at El Carmen Frontier.

We talked to the border officials, and they said NO COMMERICAL TRAFFIC IS CROSSING BECAUSE OF THIS ROAD HAZARD!!! The highway department is trying to get these obstructions removed, but the local Indians will not permit them to do so.

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
but if mexicans or candains come here do they have to follow same rules

rwj146
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Turtle-Toad for taking the time to put this together. You have answered several questions or at least pointed me in the right direction for answers.

Great forum with good people.
Courage is endurance for one moment moreโ€ฆ
Unknown Marine Second Lieutenant in Vietnam

jonhanks
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks for taking the time Turtle-Toad.

I'll just keep on looking and I'll find what I need. I will probably have to speak to immigration directly at a consulate to get the definitive on the entry by sea. I think that I should be ok judging by what I have read, but arrival by sea is never mentioned with regard to a freighter which for the US as I said needs the B2 visa. Should is never enough, though, I need to know from the horses mouth about this.

As for the TIP, I think I read that as a non-american, i.e not either Canadian or American I cannot apply for my TIP online and have to get it on arrival anyway.

Anyway thanks again.

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
Jonhanks
Sorry, I have no idea what it takes to get into the country by ship. I know what it takes for a US citizen to sail into a Mexican port for a visit, or to bring the boat in for an extended stay, but that wouldn't apply to a Brit bringing in a vehicle by ship.

And I'm not too sure who to ask, except for the migracion officials. I think it would be something like our TIP's but not sure.

Enjoy your stay in Mexico, and if you have any questions on where to go or what to see or how to get there; this is the place to ask.
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

jonhanks
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle-Toad, I wonder if you know the answer to a question seeing you clearly know so much about Mexico.

I plan to arrive by ship from Japan, onboard with my vehicle and am wondering if you know anything about visa requirements for this method of arrival. I know to arrive by ship in the U.S necessitates a full B2 visa for a tourist and wondered if there may be anything similar for Mexico. I am a British citizen who would normally not require a visa to enter Mexico.

Also, do you know anything about shipping a vehicle into Mexico, customs difficulties etc that you may know about or heard of?

Many thanks for your help,

Sothamericatrav
Explorer
Explorer
ATTENTION: NEW BORDER CHECKPOINT / PAPERS/ SOUTHERN BORDER WITH GUATEMALA!
Leaving Mexico going into Guatemala - you must now STOP, at the new customs border complex (this is a 2 acre state of the art complex), at HUXLA, CHAPAS.

LEAVING= TURN IN YOUR VEHICLE PERMITS HERE, CANCEL YOUR DEPOSIT

ENTERING MEXICO - Almost an hour from the border, STOP here and get your vehicle permits, the facility has all the border functions including a BANECIERTO BANK, and the customs xrays like the international airports. Aprox. 25 vehicle inspections areas, with as many agents.

Our friends at TREKOFTHEAMERICAS expedition were at the grand opening of this facility last month... we though it would sure save our fellow RVers time to know this beforehand. This is located about 5 kms NORTH of the town of Huxla!!!

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
You can go to Ensenada without anything more than your passports. And it's the U.S. authorities that will want to see the passports when you come back, so don't forget them! If you're driving you also should have your registration and drivers license's too.

However, if you decide to stay longer than 72 hours, you will either have to go back to the border to get your FMM or pay a fine (for waiting until you got to Ensenada) and get it in there.
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

dartmouth01
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I've perused the thread and not 100% sure of the answers to these questions, so I'm hoping to get some clarification. My fiance and I are hoping to head to Esenenda via San Diego for New Years in a truck/5th wheel. Probably staying less than 72 hours. Do we need FMMs or TIPs? I plan on buying Mexico insurance online this weekend for the trip. Based on what I read, it seems that the San Diego to Ensenada route is exempt from needing those documents?

Thanks in advance!

jcfox
Explorer
Explorer
We Crossed in Nogales, the truck camper was not an issue as far as paper work is concerned.Truck and all other items were standard. Thanks for all the help.

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
Good avice, "why take a gun to Mexico?" Because you've got it all backwards regarding Mexico. Ask youself, where can I get an AK47? (Mexico). Where can I get a quality supressor (silencer) for my rifle/pistol/shotgun? (Mexico). I hate my neighbor, where can get a rocket launcher and shells? (Mexico)... Fifteen years ago I lived in So. America when the communists were "knocking on the door" and we rationed electric,gave up free speech, and heard the thunder of the terrorist bombings...I now live within 20 minutes of the US/MEXICO border and gave up on our (beloved) vacations and long weekends in Baja 15 years ago. We still love our brothers and sisters down south, but..our friends worked as crews on the Baja 400 and have been hijacked for everyting but their clothes and modesty...left to walk home penniless...Don't ask us why we don't load up again for good times and come home with our coolers full of stone crab claws and tuna! We have un-censored media here on the border and know better. We love Mexico and her people, but we know better...You've been warned Gringo! :?

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
You'd think that that would be a simple answer; but it's not. Some people have been able to get a 10 year TIP on a truck camper and others have not. It's one of those RCNC things. One person got a 10 year TIP on the Camper but only a 6 month TIP on the truck. Go figure.

As to paperwork on the camper, same thing applies. Some people have been asked for proof of ownership and others haven't. I'd just gen up a bill of sale in case someone asks.

Of course this all applies to the US/Mex border, I haven't a clue as to what the other Central and South America countries want.
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

jcfox
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great information . My question is specific to truck campers: What paperwork ( registration/title/ect.) is required when crossing borders. I understand the truck itself needs documentation , but does the truck camper need any?? Any and all info would help!! I currently have a camper with no paperwork whatsoever and am worried I cant pass any international borders!!

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Tijuana to San Diego, San Ysidro.

Be prepared for long waits, from an hour, to more than three and a half.

Friend of mine came trough in a car, he was in line for 3 hours and 18 minutes, from before the bridge over the Tijuana river to the booth.

The construction, is going to be fiknished in 2015, so be patient.

Navegator