cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling and Workamping in Calif.... DMV info...

firedude
Explorer
Explorer
I have received some PM's and emails with questions regarding this topic........

There has been many rumors on the "20 day rule" of being here in the state and being required to register your vehicle here and get a Ca. DL. Below are some facts. Questions regarding specifics should be directed at the DMV for accurate info and answers. This is to provide some information and dispel many rumors.

here is a link to the CHP site that refers to the 20 day rule. It is specifically designed for the purpose of those who live in Ca. and try and cheat the system by registering their vehicles out of state, not designed for travelers visiting the state. Example would be those (residents) trying to evade payments of registration fees and taxes. I believe however if you are in the state over 6 months then you are required to license the vehicle in Ca. I do know it is a requirement for hosting for state parks in that if you are here over 6 months you are required to register your vehicle in Ca. More on that below. I also believe there are waivers for this as well. See below.

In brief the 20 day rule....

** Vehicle registration fees are due immediately upon accepting employment or establishing residency in the State of California

It does not apply to those traveling and visiting the state or those who accept a volunteer position in that wages are NOT paid. Volunteer position's are NOT considered employment as long as you are not paid a wage. If you wish to accept a paid position in Ca. and have ANY questions simply call the Ca. DMV at 1-800-777-0133 and clarify your situation. Do not base your actions solely on information provided here in the forums.

This post is an informative post only with information provided for you to clarify your status through the proper channels. It is not open for political debate, bashing of Ca. or any other state and their laws. Such posts will be subject to removal. It does NOT address tax issues as that is another whole subject. For that information please contact an appropriate tax consultant. Please defer any questions and inquiries to the number provided above for further details and clarification of your specific situation and status.

Firedude
DianneOK
RV.net
Forum Moderators
15 REPLIES 15

JOERVDREAM
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it’s been a while since a post has been made on this topic. I am a resident of Ca. My address and drivers license are Ca. My rv and tow car are both registered in South Dakota. Neither vehicle has ever been registered in Ca. I’ve been full time for 3 years and use my P.O. Box as my address. When I visit my daughter in NorCal during the summer I always worry I might get pulled over. It’s a small town and in the couple months that I’m there, you pass by the same chp quite a few times. I’m not sure what the outcome would be having SD plates and Ca drivers license? I’m thinking about settling down and I’m concerned that when I register my vehicles in Ca am I going to be charged some extra fee or tax?

garrettmiller
Explorer
Explorer
Stay safe guys

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“ I didn't think it could ever get more fouled up than it has always been but the state found a way to make it even worse.”

I disagree finding the DMV staff helpful and the paperwork simple or federally required. Easy to blame California’s DMV as “bad.” Harder to understand their responsibilities.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JOERVDREAM
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like this topic is spinning off to the political side of things.
I have lived in Ca. my whole life and have been paying tax's since
1975. With that said I don't plan on being here much when I retire and go full time RVing. So whatever I can do to save the outrageous tax and licensing in this state wont bother me in the least. And has anyone been to the DMV lately? I didn't think it could ever get more fouled up than it has always been but the state found a way to make it even worse. Anyway I wanted to see if anyone has seen the LLC in Montana adds to save on sales tax and licensing fees? Has anyone any experience with that option?

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Winnipeg wrote:
I am always a little surprised, and a little annoyed, when I hear someone complain that California expects them to pay taxes (DMV, etc.) if they live here more than 6 months per year. No doubt that cost of living in CA is high, and full-time RV people are often on fixed incomes. But is it fair for the people who live, work, and pay taxes in CA to cover your costs too? Seriously, if you are here more than half the year, should you not pay your share?

Say what? Even people visiting here pay a lot in taxes. Do you have any idea what we (I live in CA) pay for gas? Hint: highest in the US at $3.75-$4.00 and some areas it's $4.50 for regular. We pay on average 8.75% sales tax. We have the worst roads in the US due to highway funds being raided..example: illegals who get free medical, schooling, welfare, heavily subsidized housing, etc. Then there is the sales tax on a used or new rv (8.75% avg), a big hit on registration fees into the many hundreds, and hefty license tag fees on top. So if someone is visiting for whatever length of time, they pay a big tax by just visiting. California has become a very greedy tax State and completely run by the Dems who have failed us big time by taxing us to the point of leaving. It's one of the big reasons why we have many companies leaving or that have left.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I remember in the 1980s, when visiting California and I had to take showers 3 times a day because of the layer of greasy glop that would accumulate on my skin from the smog. That's gone now! The birds are back. People I love are not dying young from lung cancer.

Are you folks seriously going to tell me that smog regulation is a bad thing?

My truck passed the smog test the first time I tried. It's not like manufacturers are incapable of making vehicles that pass.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Terry78
Explorer
Explorer
This is true. Brand new cars and trucks just off the truck have a hard time
Passing CA. smog laws.

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
djgodden wrote:
This year my 2012 Ram will cost me nearly $1000 to register in CA. Get the hell out if you can. I'm leaving the day I retire, at present... I'm stuck here.

And smog requirements. Ca. is so strict that most vehicles can't pass

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
This year my 2012 Ram will cost me nearly $1000 to register in CA. Get the hell out if you can. I'm leaving the day I retire, at present... I'm stuck here.
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
I am always a little surprised, and a little annoyed, when I hear someone complain that California expects them to pay taxes (DMV, etc.) if they live here more than 6 months per year. No doubt that cost of living in CA is high, and full-time RV people are often on fixed incomes. But is it fair for the people who live, work, and pay taxes in CA to cover your costs too? Seriously, if you are here more than half the year, should you not pay your share?

tntloesing
Explorer
Explorer
I have taken job out of Texas to Louisiana and living in La. in my RV. Will I have the same issues as in California ?

rollingslow
Explorer
Explorer
You dont have to as long as you spend at least 6 months a year out of state. We have property in white mountains in nv lived in ca traveled back and forth didnt have any problems.

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
Don't be stupid...wages are a penny or more received for work in the state. The cost of doing business are higher here so the fees and taxes are higher. If you receive anything that is considered a "wage" in California, the long arm of the law can reach back many years to find you. Remember your phone calls, internet traffic, auto trips, etc. are recorded into hard drives and kept for who knows how long. There are no ways to avoid this rule and you are a fool to think there are any.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
this is because Ca charges a outrages fee and tax rate to just reguster a car etc.
so people were regerstering them in other states for the cost savings.

there are was to deal with this and still be working within the law.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun