Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3087  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
robbins1

maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/05 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anxious to hear how you make out with the old fella. He surely deserves a forever home. Altho the CG owners say most campers are tolerant, you know there've been many who've shoo-ed him away, either nicely or not. He's probably learned to be very,very cautious if not outright distrustful of people. He's seen more than most dogs. Please let us know when you've gotten him safely home!!

~~~ruth~~~

~~~ruth~~~

TTBeachBum

Landlocked!!!!!!!!! :O

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/05 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any update??

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/05 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to the campground today and found him. He was a little more trustful of me today but not fully. I got a chance to really look him over and this is what found. Part of his back paw is missing {his toes] and his front teeth are severely damaged. What it looks like is he was caught in a trap and he gnawed his foot off in an attempt to free himself and in the process he broke off his front lower teeth. His canine teeth are worn down on the front part of the tooth so that you can see the holes of the root canal. He stinks to high heaven and he is eaten up with fleas. I am not sure but I think I see signs if mange in its early stages. Everything went fine until I started to put him in the truck and he went crazy. Being by myself I could not hold him as he is a big dog and weighs about 40 pounds. So Tomorrow I go back with help and something to calm him down until I can get him home.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue

whimstock

Beautiful El Paso, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/05 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

God bless you! That's all I can say. [emoticon]

Oh, except for, "Thanks!!!"

Barbara

robbins1

maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/05 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the update!!
Re: the teeth, we had a dog that wore hers down as you describe. She was 14 when we had to have her put down and the teeth had been that way for years without causing any problems.

Hope tomorrow is a great day!!

~~~ruth~~~

TTBeachBum

Landlocked!!!!!!!!! :O

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/05 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck with the attempts tomorrow.

Thanks!

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/05 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is great you are trying to help this dog. Keep up the good work, soon you will gain his trust but it may take some time....

Let us know when you get him home, better yet post a picture of him!

Thanks for helping this furkid, he needs you!!

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/05 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our dearly departed Elkhound wore her teeth right down chewing on bones we used to give her. And our present Kuvasz broke one of his canines years ago. Vet noted it, but indicated it wouldn't be a problem. The Kuvasz is nine years old now and so far it isn't a problem for him.

If you catch up with the three-footed furry, you might want to look at getting a package of booties for his foot, similar to the ones worn by sled dogs. Our Elkhound tended to chew her pads raw due to allergies. Those fleece booties helped her out when her foot was sore, and they also stopped her chewing the foot further. I think I have some small ones around here that just might work ... let me know if you need them.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

dlheideman

Maryville, Illinois, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/05 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could ask your vet for a really mild sedative. Have to be careful b/c of his age and unsure of his general health condition. The vet may also have one of those noose on a pole things like dog catchers use.

Did you take a kennel? It would be a struggle to get him in it, but once you had him in the kennel you'd have it made.

He may be more fearful of you after your rescue attempt.

Thank you so much for trying!! I hope you find him.

GreenRiverGroundsHunter

Glen Carbon, IL USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/05 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

God love ya for your perseverance! Hopefully the poor thing will realize that you aren't going to take no for an answer. I'm sure if he has been living in the park for who knows how long, any attempts to move him are going to be met with mighty stubborn resistance. Possibly the vet you all were talking about above could either assist, send an assistant, or at least give you some advice on the sedative.

Your story is truly touching and captivating - I know a big, ol' YAY will go up all around when you post that you have brought him home!

BTW - have you been thinking of any names..............?

2005 Jay Feather 29Y
2004 Nissan Armada LE 4x4
5 Happy Campers
2 Camping Labs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3087  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS