Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3099  
Prev  |  Next
MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a dilemma regarding the upcoming Sevierville trip. Our old Jack Russell Murphy is mostly deaf and I am guessing about 80 percent blind. You can see the cloudy cataracts in her eyes. The only time she can hear anything is if you clap or whistle. She will then tilt her head. She still sees good enough to get around, but she is starting to misjudge jumping up on our deck sometimes and will bump into things occasionally. She is still full of life and energy though. I wish I could harness some of her energy!

My concern is taking her on this trip. The last several weekend trips we have taken, she has started barking and "chirping" when we leave her in the motorhome. I have a Furbo camera that I leave in the motorhome and I connect it to our Verizon MiFi device. I can then log into the camera from our phones and see and hear what the dogs are up to. The last couple of trips, Murphy has started barking and chirping after we have been gone about an hour. Murphy has this high pitched chirp noise that she makes when she wants our attention. On our weekend trips, we usually don't leave the motorhome for too long and now that we have the camera, if she starts making noise we come back to the motorhome. The Furbo camera has a "bark alert" that will alert you if your dog is barking.

On the Sevierville trip, we will be leaving the motorhome for several hours on some days. After the rally, we are heading to Cherokee, NC for 5 nights. My neighbor has a house in Franklin, NC where he spends his summers and we want to visit him while we are up there. Franklin is about 30 minutes from where we are staying in the motorhome. I don't want to be a bad RV neighbor and have Murphy barking when we are gone. I also don't want to be a bad dog dad and have her upset when we leave. Murphy never likes being alone and I think now that she is nearly deaf and can't see well, she gets stressed when we leave the motorhome.

Normally in a case like this, I would just have my niece stay at the house and watch her. But my niece is coming with us on this trip. Murphy absolutely LOVES her grandma (my mom) and my mom has offered to watch Murphy while we are gone. But my mom fell and broke her back last year and she is still in some discomfort. I don't want to put any additional burdens on my mom but she loves Murphy. My wife Donna wants us to take Murphy as Murphy always gets excited on our trips. Plus, I'd love for everyone to meet Murphy. She is really a sweetie. My other 3 dogs are fine being left alone. They just sleep.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on but I need to make a decision on what to do with Murphy. I still have time to figure it out. Maybe I can get something from the vet that will calm her down for some time when we are gone from the motorhome.

Burch

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Burch have you tried leaving TV or Radio on. I know you said Murphy can’t hear well but maybe she can hear some.
Have you thought about leaving something next to her with a strong scent of yours. Maybe she will think your still there.

We have a camera to watch Pickles as well. She will bark sometimes when she hears people outside. But the settles down after a bit when she realizes we are not there.
We do leave the TV on when we remember that drowns out some outside noise.

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2018 Jayco Northpoint 387 RDFS
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dernhelm wrote:

Tree sap? Have you tried Goo Gone? A little soak, a little scrub? Ought to work. So does lighter fluid, but wear gloves!

I was told Goo Gone would damage the decal

2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toolguy5 wrote:

Burch have you tried leaving TV or Radio on.

We always leave the radio on. I now wonder if she has always barked when we leave. It's always quiet when we get back to the motor home after being away for awhile but we never had the Furbo camera until recently. I also try and take the dogs on a long walk before we leave.

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good morning everyone. Burch I hope whatever decision you make gives you some peace. I have heard the thunder shirt helps dogs with anxiety. Don't know for a fact if it helps. but perhaps you can look into that.

Yesterday I had the front of the camper cleaned by a professional service. He used hot water and a pressure hose with some soap in the mix and it really cleaned the cap, it looks like new.

Sue and I looked at our schedule and tried to fit in a camping trip and there is no room. Between doctors appointments, family and church our days and weeks are full until October 14th. October 12th there is going to be a baby shower for Maddie and Joshua. This will be our first Great Grandbaby. They already know it's a boy so there will be no guessing as to boy or girl.

Allison's business has done so well she has hired Sue to keep the files up to date and to do the book keeping chores. Yesterday was Sue's first day. Whatever she made yesterday we have already spent in groceries.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my evening walk last night I saw a tree with some leaves turning color, odd that it was the only tree doing this.
I try to walk every evening and when I do I carry doggie treats (milk bones) for any and all dogs I see. Ofcourse I always ask the owners first. I have one dog (Struts) that watches out the front window for me, he can spot me a block away as I round the corner from the horses. About a half block away he will start with his barking and howling until I hold up a treat and talk to him. Once there he will sit and take his treat from my hand really easy. He is some kind of bird dog. I usually give him two, but if I miss a night then he has to have three. Kinda controlling. Other dogs in the neighborhood that have received treats will come running to me if they are out.
Seeing the dogs, the horses, and sometimes deer and occasionally a road runner makes my walks really enjoyable. Still haven't spotted Wiley.

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got a call from the local RV service center. I dropped off the motorhome on Wednesday afternoon for them to work on the slide leak. It's already done! Wow, I am used to dealing with Camping World and them having it 3 weeks or more. I won't know if it leaks until it rains again but hopefully it is finally fixed.

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good news, hope they fixed it.

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, STL County, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

Anyway, sorry for rambling on but I need to make a decision on what to do with Murphy....

Some decisions are just so hard to make. [emoticon]

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 6 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Burch don't worry about Murphy. Just come on to Sevierville, enjoy your self you will be among friends. Just asking, what did the repair shop say about the leak?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3099  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS