Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3098  
Prev  |  Next
MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dixie Flyer wrote:

Burch it is frustrating to have the camper of your dreams and have the problems you are having. When we bought the Foretravel we spent a year going back and forth to Knoxville getting the bedroom slide repaired. Finally we won the battle and got it repaired. Hopefully you will also.

It really is frustrating. We shopped for 3 years before we found exactly what we wanted. We were just about to pull the trigger and purchase a Newmar Baystar but then went back to the RV show the 2nd day and fell in love with the Miramar. I got really down last week about it but then realized it's just an "object" and it was silly to let it upset me. We will either get it fixed on get something else. It's only money..... [emoticon]

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Burch, it may have been 10 percent chance of rain for some folks but it was 100 percent for you.

2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Burch, if the leak only seems to occur when your slide is out do you have covers that come out with the slide? Is the leak on top or along one of the sides?

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SGTJOE wrote:

Hey Burch, if the leak only seems to occur when your slide is out do you have covers that come out with the slide? Is the leak on top or along one of the sides?

I went over to the motorhome during lunch today to check and it was dry so it only seems to leak when the slide is extended. The slide does have slide toppers installed so it should only be getting a little water on top of the slide roof during a blowing rain. The leak is in the corner of the slide ceiling. The water is coming in on the corner and was staining the corner of the valance cover over the slide window. If we really had a lot of rain, not only was the valance cover getting wet but I believe the water is draining down onto the top of the window frame and then running out the top of the window. Here are a couple of pictures.

[image]

In this picture, we have taken down the valance and the blinds. This is the front corner of the slide. I have a paper towel with a q-tip shoved into the hole from where one of the screws went that holds up the valance. The other screw holes where dry. This hole was really wet and the paper towel got saturated and started dripping. My wife tapped some tin foil on the window to make a gutter to catch the drips from the paper towel. We replaced the paper towels several times to soak up the water from the ceiling. You will notice there is a small piece of blue tape on the window about a foot or so to the left of the paper towel and tin foil. After a day or two of rain, water will also start coming out of the the top of the window frame where the blue tape is. I believe once the front valance area gets soaked, the water is finding it's way to on top of the window frame and starts running down the top of the frame until it finds a small crack in the frame and then starts dripping onto the window.

[image]

In this picture, we put some small cardboard pieces between the ceiling and the valance. The two cardboard pieces were up against the front screw that holds up the valance. We put this up the day we arrived at the RV park because we knew there was a good chance of rain that night. If you look at the right corner of the valance, you can see the water stains from previous leaks.

That night, we got a pretty good rain. When we got up the next morning, we pulled out the cardboard and the following picture is how it looked.

[image]

You can see the water that got on the cardboard. We replaced the cardboard a couple of times that day and each time we took it out, it was wet. The next night we got a heavy rain. Not only was the replaced cardboard wet, we also had water dripping out of the top of the window frame.

[image]

We tapped a paper towel to the window to catch the dripping water. So you can see that the leak seems to start in the corner and then work it's way a foot and a half or so to the left and come out the top of the window frame. We don't always get enough rain for it to come out the window frame.

Over the weekend, I calked and sealed everything I could see in the corner of the slide roof. I also caulked around the screws where the slide topper is bolted to the outside of the slide. That area is very close to where it appears the water is coming in inside.

Sorry for the long post but any suggestions would be appreciated!

Burch

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried calking around the flat metal piece that holds the bar that pulls your canopy in and out? Make sure the screws holding it in place are tight. Also just inside on the outer top of the slide, is it calked really good from one end to the other? Check your slide seal (usually rubber and runs alongside the slide) to see if extends from the top to the bottom.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a locking mechanism on the slide side wall adjacent to the leak? I had a leak through one of mine that had to be sealed again. The locking mechanism is inside the RV when the slide is retracted but open to the weather and not covered by the slide topper when the slide is extended.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (10 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 2 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SGTJOE wrote:

Have you tried calking around the flat metal piece that holds the bar that pulls your canopy in and out? Make sure the screws holding it in place are tight. Also just inside on the outer top of the slide, is it calked really good from one end to the other? Check your slide seal (usually rubber and runs alongside the slide) to see if extends from the top to the bottom.

I did caulk around the flat metal piece and the screws holding it in place (for the slide topper). That is right on the other side of where the leak is. But, after the rain I had last night with the slide in, I'm thinking it is not leaking there as I would think it would leak with the slide in or out if it was leaking there.

I did caulk as far as I could just inside of the outer top of the slide as there was a bit of a gap there between the tape and the outside edge of the slide. Since the topper is in the way, I could only caulk about two feet on either side of the slide. I would have to take off the topper to be able to caulk the length of the slide.

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

Do you have a locking mechanism on the slide side wall adjacent to the leak? I had a leak through one of mine that had to be sealed again. The locking mechanism is inside the RV when the slide is retracted but open to the weather and not covered by the slide topper when the slide is extended.

I will have to look but I don't think I have any type of locking mechanism on the side. I have not seen anything like that.

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary Bunzer "The RV Doctor" has a video on water leaks.

Clicky

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good morning everyone. Burch I hope you get your water leak solved. Something like that can be hard to find and fix.

Yesterday was not a good day. Last night my legs hurt and twitched all night. The pain in my right hip has move down in my leg and the leg feels hot to the touch and also feels kind of numb. Don't know what is going on, but also fought nausea all day long yesterday. This morning the nausea is better, but still kind of lingering on.

Last night at church heard about a little two year old girl that was given the wrong dose of medication and is now on life support. not expected to make it.

Suzie didn't eat this morning but was at the breakfast table begging for food. Dixie, well what can I say about Dixie except she has too much energy.

I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3098  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS