Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3000W Chinese Gensets Info.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
EDIT ADDED 45/5/2013- When this thread started in March of 2005, I never expected to see it survive this long or amass the quantity of information that has been shared here.

In the eight year run of this thread we have amassed almost 10,000 postings and surpassed a million views. This creates somewhat of a dilemma for anyone who has just discovered the forum.

Since the amount of information is virtually overwhelming, I suggest you set your preferences for this thread to read "newest first" and then begin to page backwards.

What you will find in these pages is a wealth of info on virtually any make or model of Chinese manufactured synchronous (non-inverter) generator in the 3,000 watt performance class. Info will include how to rewire series coils to parallel to obtain maximum wattage from a single 120 volt outlet. Tips on further reducing sound levels, how to care for these generators, which ones are "RV ready" and provide the best overall performance for the dollar invested. Which companies NOT to deal with, where the best prices are, how to safely wire the generator into a home or RV, how to check your RV for electrical faults, sources for generator accessories, which 20/30 adapters are safe to use and which are not. How to convert a gasoline generator to propane or NG. This is only the beginning. The forum has a life of its own with the focus sub-topic switching frequently. Still, the main topic of utilizing the amazing, inexpensive Chinese gensets is always there. The amount of creativity and innovation presented in these pages is indicative of the talents shared in the diverse backgrounds of the folks who make up our combined RV community.

Many of the original brands and models of Chinese gensets mentioned in the introduction and early pages of the thread have since disappeared. New EPA and CARB emissions requirements, company bonds assuring the emissions warranty will be honored even if the company goes out of business, and fierce competition in the industry have changed the playing field. Champion Power Equipment has become the apparent "trophy team" providing an ever expanding retail outlet, an ample parts supply, a strong warranty and excellent customer service. CPE has continued to improve their product and now offers a new model (#46538) with exclusive convenience, safety and performance features aimed at the RV market. Big names like Cummins/Onan, Honda and Generac all now have Chinese built open frame synchronous gensets available. Ironically, the prices often found on these gensets has not significantly changed during the past eight years - even with the devaluation of the American Dollar and new EPA/CARB requirements.

I also encourage you to use the search function and even the advanced search options to find information. Key works such as "rewiring", "PowerPro", "Champion", "Onan Homesite", "Duropower", "ETQ", "Jiung Dong or JD", "Tractor Supply", "Costco", "Lowe's" and "Home Depot" are all examples of keywords that will give you specific information on different models being sold by retailers today.

Or, you can fill your glass with your favorite beverage (keep more close by - maybe some munchies as well :D, sit back at your computer, tell your wife (or significant other) that you will see her in the morning and spend the next 10 or so hours reading through the postings.

No one on the forum gets mad if you ask a question that is a repeat. Please do not hesitate to post to the forum. All questions are considered important and those active on the forum will do their best to respond with a valid answer.

Also note we are not out to knock the Honda, Yamaha, Kipor or other brands of high end digital gensets. We recognize the quality of these products and their suitability for quite, efficient RV use. But, there is a flood of reliable, inexpensive and comparatively lower cost gensets coming out of China that are excellent alternative choices for the RVer wanting power to run an air conditioner, microwave, etc. without excessive noise or breaking the budget.

Oh, one last thing. The folks on this forum are true gentlemen. We do not flame one another or the product discussed - period. Ugly contributors usually have their comments and remarks ignored by our masses. It is not a forum to start arguments to obtain a clear win. We do disagree on many issues, but we have all agreed to do that in a respectable manner.

We now have the introduction of more and more inverter gensets. There is a rather extensive thread named "The Official Unofficial Champion 2000i Generator" on this forum. Today, I added info on the new Champion 3100i inverter genset. Discussion on this product may get moved to its own thread at a later date.

Many have looked upon this thread with distain saying Chinese is cheap and doomed to failure. I remember saying exactly the same thing about Japanese products a few decades back. But, over the past eight years the track record for Chinese built generators has shown otherwise.

Please, join us in a fascinating journey down the Chinese built genset road of knowledge.

This is the question I posted that got it all started back in March 2005.......

Randy

For a little over a month now, I have been somewhat intrigued by the availability of a 3000 watt, 6.5 HP generator at Pep Boys and Northern Tool for under $300.00. The engine on this generator looks identical to a Honda 6.5 HP OHV engine. Knowing that the Chinese have become very adept at โ€œcloningโ€ reputable technologies from other manufacturers, I was not surprised at the similarities. Neither store could give me any information on the generator nor did they have a โ€œrunningโ€ display model.

I have done a little research. This is what I have discovered:

Many of these generators are imported by ELIM International (www.eliminternational.com) out of Buffalo, New York from Jiung Manufacturing in China. (The unit at Northern is identical but carries the JIUNG name.)

The engines are indeed a Chinese knockoff of the popular 6.5 HP 196cc Honda Engine. โ€œSupposedlyโ€ Honda has licensed the engine technology to the Chinese manufacturer of the product.

The Chinese company that makes the ELM3000 generators is a rather large, diverse, long-standing company with a reputation for โ€œabove average qualityโ€ Chinese made products (Jiung Manufacturing). There are many more Chinese companies making almost identical gensets.

The generators at PepBoys do have a six month limited warranty. But, it is only on the engine (not the generator) and requires paying for shipping to and from Buffalo. Probably not a very practical thing to do if you have warranty issues.

ELIM does supply replacement parts (a PDF parts manual is available on the ELIM web site). No prices are given for replacement parts nor is there an โ€œavailability listingโ€.

The generator head itself is a brushless design. The only really significant wear parts in the generator are the bearings โ€“ most likely universally available.

The published dB rating is 67 at 23 feet. This is โ€œreasonablyโ€ quite for a generator of this size as most comparabl.... The 67 dB rating is the same as Honda gives their 3000 watt CycloInverter with a โ€œlook alikeโ€ eng...

Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.
10,029 REPLIES 10,029

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
"SteveOTR" -

This thread was begun well *before* Champion even offered inverter gens. Other (newer) threads came along once they (inverter gens, dual fuel, etc) were offered by Champion.

You can find those via search (use the "over 12 months old" option) - but easier to just start a new thread with your question.

SteveOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
Great posts everyone! Iโ€™m trying to quiet and cool off my Champion 3650 Dual Fuel geset I have mounted on my A-frame rack. I like how Professor moved his exhaust . Iโ€™m thinking about relocating it below the TT frame to reduce the heat generated from it . Any input would be appreciated

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mr Wizard,

I don't think it does. The remote start/shut down is a kit from Pinella's.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
i don't know about your yammy

but my champion remote start inverter

when using the remote shut down, does a power shut off, before shutting down,

your yammy probably does the same thing, shutting off the inverter, before the engine
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi 72Cougarxr7,

I have start up covered because the Magnum inverter/charger doesn't transfer power immediate.

I wanted to know what the spin down does when shutting down. I do have remote electric start on an Yamaha 3000sIEB. (and of course remote shut down).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

What are the issues regarding the generator when stopping an inverter generator "under load"?

72cougarxr7 wrote:

That being said, you just learned a costly lesson, a generator should never be started to shut off with a load on it.
Unplug the generator before starting or shutting off.

It is right in the owners manual for the generator (I have the same model).
"Never start or stop the generator with electrical devices plugged in or turned on"
I would imagine with an inverter, shutting off with a load applied would be less of an issue than starting with a load applied, but still something to avoid.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

At least I know what to ask about now. TY as always.
Regards, Don

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Specifically?

Frequency "Spin Down". Very expensive AC generators have built-in protection circuits.

On ships with the spin down problem we had to specify volts-per-hertz self-regulating (saturated field) generators.

"Do your generators have spin-down protection for your voltage regulator?"

Either they do or they don't. Oops is expensive.

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
choice $100 or purchase another generator

i think i would spend the $100

Try my friends at https://www.supergenproducts.com/

You may be able to get a good deal on the inverter board.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

What are the issues regarding the generator when stopping an inverter generator "under load"?

72cougarxr7 wrote:

That being said, you just learned a costly lesson, a generator should never be started to shut off with a load on it.
Unplug the generator before starting or shutting off.
Regards, Don

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
RedLionCookie wrote:
I have a 2000 Watt Champion Inverter. The Red cube style. Camping in the fall, when I went to start it, I didn't realize the AC unit was turned on and caused it to overload before it even got going. The whole process blew the motherboard out of it. Anyone have a similar problem? I can replace the board for $100 but I'm honestly a little skeptical at this point.

Thoughts?

You would probably be better served starting a new thread, rather than a reply to an old thread about non inverter generators.

Unplug the generator before starting or shutting off. When starting, make sure to start the engine, and wait until you are fully off the choke, and engine rpm's are stable before plugging in the load.
Fix your generator and carry on!

MrWizard
choice $100 or purchase another generator

i think i would spend the $100
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RedLionCookie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Watt Champion Inverter. The Red cube style. Camping in the fall, when I went to start it, I didn't realize the AC unit was turned on and caused it to overload before it even got going. The whole process blew the motherboard out of it. Anyone have a similar problem? I can replace the board for $100 but I'm honestly a little skeptical at this point.

Thoughts?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see you back Oldfordman, but real sorry for your wife's passing.

I have two Champion gens... still work like new after all these years.

I wonder how many Honda's were not sold, because thousands of Champions were bought instead.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer