cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Breakdown Information

Badeye
Explorer
Explorer
Moderators Note: This thread is intending to report a problem and its resolution. If you are seeking help or information to help you resolve a problem you would best be served by initiating a thread on the class A forum proper

After some conversation with Diesel-Lover and others on this forum I thought I would try to start a thread concerning breakdowns on the road. We try to prevent this by good maintenance and driving reasonably but it can still happen. As I observed in a previous post, on a roughly 350 mile northbound drive on I-75 I saw 4 class A MH broken down. All were southbound.

If we should have a breakdown and would post the following information on this thread it could be a resource and reminder for others.

RV particulars:
Driveline (Engine, Transmission):
Miles:
Year:
Break Down Description: (You can add any description of the problem here that you think would help others in understanding the situation and problem.)
Symptoms:
Effect:
Cause:
Outcome:

This is the type of information that is recorded in the aircraft industry and other maintenance activities to track failure trends. It will take a while before we see a lot of value in this. If it continues for a time and sufficient data is available, I will analyze the data and put it into a form that I can send by email to any interested parties. I would suspect that an initial report could be done in about three months or when we have about 100 to 150 cases.

What do you think?
818 REPLIES 818

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
1994 Southwind Storm (454 TBI w/4L80E)
75,1XX

Not technically a breakdown due to me catching it before we left on the 11th July. Crawled under for a check of the exhaust donuts (looked great) but I found a trans line (output) on the rubber section (tiny pin holes) leaking. Currently have both lines off and will have a place make new ones.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced both exhaust doughnuts (7/16/21) 1994 Southwind Storm 28ft 454 TBI w/4L80E (no air pump/s)

Passenger side one blew while in southern Ca. back on the 11th July (my planned start day to return home). Replaced both but was unable to replace the springs and nuts. Roll forward...after returning to Renton, Wa. the passenger side one was nearly gone again. I noticed the nuts were bottoming out prior to applying tension via the springs to the flange-pipe allowing for a leak.

Pulled the pipe down on both sides again and replaced the springs and nuts. Also applied lots of copper seize on everything. Once done I started the engine a few times to heat cycle everything and re-check. All nice and quiet now.

Used Fel-Pro doughnuts.

Also have on order an EGR (electric driven) and a trans filter (will change the trans fluid).
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

1_2_Canadian
Explorer
Explorer
Pastorm, you need to post this as a brand new thread under Class A Motorhomes.

This one is for relating specific experiences with your motorhome. Read itโ€™s first post(s) from 2003 that explain that purpose.

Otherwise. Admin.: please move post to appropriate category.

1/2 Canadian

1984 Pace Arrow

traded for
2006 Beaver Monterey
1997 Ford Explorer Limited 4X4

Flyfishing in my blood

[purple]Good Sam Life Member 1334373, 35 yrs. RVing[/purple]
Family Motorcoach Member F384437, Beaver Ambassador Club 14 yrs.

pastorm
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!! We are in the research stage of buying a Class A gas - can anyone give me an idea of what insurance cost would look like - ....

smartmahabub
Explorer
Explorer
I went and looked in the battery compartment and saw that the battery was probably loose and was shutting down against anything, but they were fine. Check all screws and especially the plugs that attach the harness together.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most breakdowns are random and hard to predict.
Most places in the WEst, you will be a long way from help.

Prof_Turby
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Bluebird Wanderlodge 450 Lxi...

Issue 1: Low fuel...
Picked up the coach yesterday...
Coach had about 1/8 tank of fuel showing so we purchased diesel 10 miles from the sellers home...
Coach would not restart when refueled...
The coach dumped the air and tilted to the left...
The fuel pick up tube is in the right side of the fuel tank...
Local mechanic got the coach cranked after using starting fluid...

Issue 2: Low air in tires...
When we got the coach we gauged the tires and they were low...
Not flat but low...
When we got to the filling station we planned on airing them up but when the coach tilted to the left and would not crank the left rear outside tire unseated from the rim...
Called a tire service truck that got us going...

Two things to remember...
Keep the fuel full and tires aired up...

Living-R-Dreams
Explorer
Explorer
We're Looking at a Gulf Stream 36' Sun Voyager Class A. Lots of Xtra's. They are asking $13,000. It has 52,690 miles. Anyone have an opinion?

angler
Explorer
Explorer
RV particulars 2002 Allegro Bay
Driveline Workhorse 24K Allison 8.1
Miles:83000
Year:2002
Break Down Description: No start
Symptoms: No Start in front of my house ready to travel. Started 5 times the same day.
Effect: No Cranking just silence.
Cause: Starter relay female connectors in the fuse box are worn.
Outcome: Call roadside since it was so cold the hood wouldn't open. 986 dollar tow bill. Thank you roadside assitance.
Had to bend pins on the starter relay for better connection. until connectors in fuse box can be replaced.
2020 Jayco 34RSBS
2002 Tiffin Allego Bay
2010 Keystone Springdale 29bhssr
1998 Jayco Lite 244

madkinson74
Explorer
Explorer
RV particulars:1999 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager Bus
Driveline (Engine, Transmission): Cummins/Allison
Miles:47633
Year:1999
Break Down Description: No Air pressure above 50 lbs
Symptoms: Started RV after stopping for lunch at a rest area, just west of OKC on I40. Killed coach and started generator. Ate lunch then wen to start coach back up to continue journey. Would not build up air pressure.
Effect: Would not build up air pressure so could not release parking brake.
Cause: 2 rather large air leaks.
Outcome: Called GS roadside and they sent out a mechanic (who was super, by the way). Drained front tank, replaced governor on compressor and bypassed air dryer. Almost immediately built up to 125 psi in both tanks.

This was my first trip in the RV (except for 2 short 100 milers). Was on my way to St. Louis. Had already worked on the air dryer. Worked perfectly the rest of the trip. I have past experience with diesels (buses), so know about keeping the moisture out of the tanks.
On the road again . . . . .

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
RV: 1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 28ft w/Chevy P-30 454TBI & 4L80E trans (now 56,130miles)

While on my recent trip (Seattle to HB, Ca.) I had a trans slip issue start up while on the last leg of the pass just south of Ashland, Oregon. After cresting the RV would not go beyond 30-35mph. Pull off at Yreka, Ca. stayed the night (Baxters Auto lot).

The next morning they sent me over to Onarheim truck repair. Mechanic checked what I had checked (fluid) which was perfect no issue. He also drove it without issue. Says it may have gotten hot.

Continued on south. Made it to HB, Ca. (shot over from the 5 to the 101 via 505 - 680 - 101). No issue/s.

On the return trip ~10 days later just south of Willits, Ca. (during a grade) I had it do the same thing again. This was after driving without issue from HB, Ca.

Same results next morning no issue. However roughly 35 miles later same issue popped up (grade pull). This time I could tell the trans was in limp mode. Not going from 2-3. Quickly realizing that when turning off the engine and restarting it resets and all is ok. Now beginning to look like shift solenoid issue. Did this (2-3) more times until I reached Grants Pass, Oregon and stopped the night. Ended up staying just outside of Jerry's Clutch & Transmission (Great guy). While stopped I used paper clip to pull codes 68 and 87.

The following morning (Joe) mechanic used computer and pulled same codes:

68 - Trans slip
87 - Shift solenoid stuck open

He quickly fixed it by stating the 68 slip code can be resolved by turning the force valve up 1/4 turn and we'll replace both shift solenoids A & B.

While we had the RV up on rack he also found that the trans wire connector was leaking (internally) as well. Replaced it with upgraded one. Back on the road in roughly 2-3 hours. $290

So if anyone ever has trans issue I highly recommend Jerry's Clutch & transmission in Grants Pass, Or.
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

Raider-Rider
Explorer
Explorer
RV particulars:2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE

Drive line (CAT C9, Allison 6 Speed, Spartan Chassis

Miles: 46k

Year:2006

Break Down Description: Oil Leak - Major. I bought the motor home in Mar 2017. We I got it home I first noticed an oil on the ground under the engine. I had it evaluated at Colton Truck Terminal in Colton CA. They told me it was coming from the back of the HEUI Pump.Advice was to monitor it but since it wasn't that large a leak no repair at this time.I put about 2k miles on it. On Sep 1 We had just returned from a trip from San Diego to Lake Tahoe. The REV was parked in front of my house and we were preparing to leave on an extended 6 week trip. I started it and re-positioned it a few feet, got out and had a full on oil spill under the engine. It looked like a quart or so leaked out in about 5 minutes. It was streaming out not dripping.

Symptoms: Major visible oil streaming out of the bottom of the engine compartment.

Effect: Disabled out of fear of major engine damage

Cause: Broken bolt that fastened fuel transfer pump to the back of the HEUI pump

Outcome:The HEUI Pump and Fuel Transfer Pump are sold only as an assembly. 2k for parts 1.2k labor.

Note: I feel very fortunate this happen in front of my house and not on the road.

Postscript: On Sep 16 we left on our originally planned trip. On arrival in Las Vegas, our first stop, I noticed oil was being sprayed on our tow car along with oil drops on the ground. Needless to say I was more than a little disappointed. I rigged up a catch for the "slobber" tube thinking it was blow by. Drove 240 miles to Ely, NV and there was still some oil drops and some spray on the car. Cleaned up the spay and drove another 120 miles to Wendover UT. Significant spray on the toad and more significant drops on the ground. In checking the engine oil level found no detectable loss of oil. I contacted the main CAT dealer in Salt Lake City UT. They didn't work on the over the road engines anymore but referred me to Larry H Miller Super Ford in Salt Lake City.

These guys were GREAT! Tyler the service writer and Ken their in house CAT expert.This car dealership is an authorized service center for CAT, Allison, and Spartan. In spite of a 4 week work back log they told me to come right over and they would have a mechanic take a look at it and at least tell be where the leak was. Ken really knew the C9. In short order he found the leak.It was a leaking o-Ring in the air compressor oil supply line. He removed it, installed new o-rings and I was on my way. Drove 40 miles to Park City UT and not a drop on the Toad or ground. The oil leak odyssey for us is finally over and we are proceeding on our trip with a peace of mind we haven't really had yet with this motor home. I just can't thank those guys at Larry H Miller Super Ford enough!
2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE
2012 Chevrolet Sonic W/Blue Ox Tow Bar
2008 BMW GS1200
2004 VTX 1800R

Bobroham
Explorer
Explorer
a

Nowitall
Explorer
Explorer
A couple times over the years, I've experienced loss of power after driving the motorhome most of the day, in warm weather at higher altitudes. Each time, the engine would die while driving on the highway, and it would stay dead until the engine cooled. The first time this happened, we replaced, I think (it was 10 years ago) the MAP and MASS air sensors. Last year, the engine died on a hot day after a long drive in the high desert of Arizona and New Mexico. This time, a local engine repair place said it was due to 2 things: 1. hot gasoline vaporizing as it returned to the fuel pump, and 2. a weak fuel pump. The cure? Replace the fuel pump, now 12 years old, and keep the fuel tank more than 1/2 full when driving at altitude in the summer, so the cool gasoline would keep the fuel returning to the pump cooler. Not sure why fuel returns to the fuel pump, but then, I'm not an expert on motors. Seems to be good advice, tho', since I live at altitude in Denver, and the 2 times this problem happened were in Denver and Albuquerque!

Motorhome: 2004 Fleetwood Southwind, 32vs, Workhorse Chassis.
nowitall@gmail.com
2004 Southwind 32VS (8.1 Litre Chebby)
2009 Mazda Tribute Toadie
Finally escaped the hoomidity and skeeters for the Front Range of Colorado!

Travelin' By RV